• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first "Unconscious Bias" mandatory training course endured

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first "Unconscious Bias" mandatory training course endured

Absolute bolloxs...
    Brainwashing....
    World has gone mad!

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
    World has gone mad!
    Can't say that any more.

Word has gone cognitively challenged is an appropriate alternative.

Comment

Clearly hasn't started working yet...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Absolute bolloxs...
        Brainwashing....
        World has gone mad!
        I have sympathy with that view, but am not convinced this kind of training is without merit.

Did your training cover bias re sexual orientation?

Comment

There was a study done, will see if I can find a link later but it was a while ago, that seemed to show that many forms of anti-bias training actually doesn't work.

The study was done around the law on what constitutes consent vs what is rape/sexual assault and the attitudes of officers before and after training. Even if a police officer can demonstrate they know the law, they will still attribute blame according to what they believe (basically, it's the woman's fault unless they are physically harmed, fight back, are sober, dressed appropriately and don't know their attacker).

It's really hard to counter bias in people and a half-day training course will do nothing to change how they think. That's not to say it's pointless but these courses should be used as a starting point, not the tick box exercise they have become. The information has to be regularly reinforced and repeated or else it will never stick.

Comment

Absolute bolloxs...
            Brainwashing....
            World has gone mad!
            By attending this training course you are implicitly admitting that you are (at least unconsciously) a sexist/racist/homophone/transphobe etc

I would refuse to attend any such courses in future and tell the company you take deep offense at being mandated to attend such a course as you are none of the above (even unconsciously)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              It's really hard to counter bias in people and a half-day training course will do nothing to change how they think. That's not to say it's pointless but these courses should be used as a starting point, not the tick box exercise they have become. The information has to be regularly reinforced and repeated or else it will never stick.
              The main goal for employers in mandating these training courses is not to change people's bias, but so they can say they have done so and add a level of protection if a staff member does something inappropriate in future. If the training actually does change behaviours, that's a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

The main goal for employers in mandating these training courses is not to change people's bias, but so they can say they have done so and add a level of protection if a staff member does something inappropriate in future. If the training actually does change behaviours, that's a bonus.
                Absolutely spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Indeed its CYA from HR.

Now they can be exposed , fined or senior figures can go to jail suddenly companies care. This is the same as GDPR,SOX etc. However the unconscious bias is not developed yet. The assumption is if you say anything against anyone in a protected category then that is an attack on that characteristic, that frequently is not the case.

No one deserves rape, assault or street robbery but walking about drunk, late at night with your £10k Rolex on show does suggest a certain amount of naivety suggesting you stay in groups, well populated areas, pay attention to your surroundings and make sure some of your friends stay sober enough to keep you safe should not be represented as "he/she was asking for it". There are bad people out there, be sure you don't fall victim that seems sensible advice!

Having twice been assaulted by near strangers I was glad I was neither too drunk to avoid serious injury or managed to get somewhere public where the assailant decided it was too dangerous to continue.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Don't forget, it's not enough to be non-racist these days, one has to be not anti-anti-racist (I think).

2012-02-22 Oxford University students are told it's not enough to be non-racist and they need to be actively anti-racist

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X