• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Accident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was front passenger when the car flipped off a curb on a busy A-road at night. We'd been going pretty fast and skidded on the roof for nearly 100 yards.

When I got out I realised how lucky we were, because we'd skidded up the other side of the road towards the oncoming traffic, and it had avoided hitting us.

During the event I just remember sparks flying everywhere, and hoping we stopped soon. The four of us all walked away with only a few scratches. Ambulance ride, tetanus jabs all round at St Albans City Hospital, then home.

Comment

Back in my biking days I was out with some mates for a sunday run. 3 guys infront of me, doing 60'ish on a twisty A road. Guy in the front suddenly loses it on an easy bend and slides into the hedge.

I think "What a twat to lose it on a corner like that. I'll take the piss when I stop."

Guy in 2nd place then loses it in roughly the same place but manages not to slide into the guy who came of first.

I think "Bloody hell, two inna row. Idiots."

Guy now in front of me suddenly breaks hard and then loses it anyway, stays on the bike but hits the hedge anyway.

I spot the large slick of diesel on the road I hadn't seen up untill this point and think "Ooooooh Shiiiiit!"

4 Bikes in the ditch, floor bikers picking hedge out of their visors. 1 Sprained wrist, a lot of brusies and some severly dented egos between us.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've lost it a few times. On moon buggies the one thing that always sticks in my mind is how slippery moondust is when you're sliding across it. Oh and how fast you spin about.

threaded

Comment

Yep, very serious motorbike accident in '80. Apparently I had 3 minutes to live but luckily there was nurse following me who knew what to do and an ambulance man following her. Spent 5 months in hospital and remember a priest giving me the last rites one night, scary.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
            Yep, very serious motorbike accident in '80. Apparently I had 3 minutes to live but luckily there was nurse following me who knew what to do and an ambulance man following her. Spent 5 months in hospital and remember a priest giving me the last rites one night, scary.

That is my worst fear - I am not afraid of dying, but am really scared of lying in a hospital bed completely helpless - I nursed many RTA victims (a lot of bikers) I do not want to end up like that

Comment

Some of the incidents here sound like mad nuttiness/poor judgement. You deserve what you get. Only one other person here seems to practice defensive driving:

1) Assume every other driver is a twat
              2) Assume if something can go wrong it will

Been driving for 21 years now without a single accident - and I used to do some serious mileage in the past. And that doesn't mean not driving fast either - sometimes that's the way to get out out of trouble.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                Some of the incidents here sound like mad nuttiness/poor judgement. You deserve what you get. Only one other person here seems to practice defensive driving:

Been driving for 21 years now without a single accident - and I used to do some serious mileage in the past. And that doesn't mean not driving fast either - sometimes that's the way to get out out of trouble.

SAS you can have an road accident crossing the road walking on a zebra crossing !!

Comment

Replace the word driver with IT contractor and I have the same philosophy on surviving contracting.

Comment

A number of the above are not accidents are they!
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
                      SAS you can have an road accident crossing the road walking on a zebra crossing !!
                      make sure the traffic is STOPPING before stepping out onto the Zebra crossing
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X