• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Memory of Fleetwood - The Nedprod Story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Investment

There seems, in my view, a lack of will to invest in workers in the UK. Businesses seems to think that employees will teach themselves or be taught by the state – or more importantly, they should be taught by anyone other than business itself. Furthermore, they don’t like encouraging employees to self-improve, because then you have to pay them more or they will get a job with the competition.

This reflects a fundamentally broken view of industry. Employers constantly complain about the lack of training of employees and how many of them are incompetent. Never do they realise that their own selfish practices cause the national pool of employees to be sub-standard. Therefore, their own lack of willingness to invest in employees causes deep-seated and institutional difficulties in getting decent workers i.e. the problem is cyclical and self-perpetuating.
    I couldn't agree more in 12 years of working in I.T. after uni (an IT degree) I have received just 2 (yes two) days of I.T. programming/developer/tools formal training and that was 8 years ago.

I soon realised that this was a mis-understood profession and was looked down upon and undervalued so I just went for the money.

Fleetwood I think died in a car crash some years ago (in Germany I believe), one bloke on here knew him in real life.
    Last edited by eliquant; 26 July 2009, 07:22.

Comment

Thanks for Bumping the thread MF, brought back some 2003 memories. But as far as I remember, the recession then was followed with an explosion of opportunities, hoping the same happens this time.

eliquant: yes its the guy with a vodka bottle in his avi that knew Fleetwood, forgot his nick!

Comment

Yet from my experience in the contracting market, there seems to be an absolute lack of understanding of this. Employers seem to think that the dregs of those with direct experience will somehow always outweigh a better engineer with no experience.
        Although expressed in his laughably florid style, Niall did have a good point there.

edit:

Got a new computer to build whose parts I shall be ordering from Barcelona ..
        Why in the world would someone in this country order computer parts from Barcelona?!

(and do these parts come with Manuels)
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 July 2009, 10:11.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
          .. Fleetwood I think died in a car crash some years ago (in Germany I believe), one bloke on here knew him in real life.
          As I recall, it was at a notoriously dangerous roundabout or junction (?) just outside Brussels airport - Fleetwood stopped, but a forty ton truck behind him didn't ...
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I had the pleasure of getting to know Daniel over the years from this board - he was one of the few people I knew that shared the same taste of music and humour .

Finally I met him in a bar in Brussels in September - alas it was to prove our first and last meeting for Dainel was killed in Janruary in a motorway accident outside Brussels whilst he was drving back to France.

His death did come as shock - his life was in fact going so well, he had settled into a good job in Brux after being out of work for a while and was contemplating buying a swank new appartment in Brussels.

As much as I like to laugh at life - one thing is certain - one day it wil make you cry.

Winter Wine

How you're always flowing, blowing in my mind
            Like a stream, these magic waters move me to a dream

Of travelling with you, drifting carefree,
            dropping downward through fresh grasses

Bubbles merrily as it passes, never knowing where you're going
            Carry me with you, carry me with you

Life's too short to be sad
            wishing things you'll never have

You're better off not dreaming of the things to come
            Dreams are always ending far too soon

Sounds of a distant melody, once played,
            lost from memory

Funny how it's clearer now, you're close to me
            We'll be together all the time
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 July 2009, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              As I recall, it was at a notoriously dangerous roundabout or junction (?) just outside Brussels airport - Fleetwood stopped, but a forty ton truck behind him didn't ...
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ight=Fleetwood

Comment

<sigh...>
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Bumpity Bump.

:

^ Extraneous :!

Comment

Forgot about Diestl one of my earliest ones.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      The nedprod.com link appears to be dead, but thanks to the Wayback Machine… CUK board discussion

Comment

Working...
                      X