• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extended

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended

Got my first contract extended today , they left it to the last minute, was due to finish on friday, plus I have next week off.

' played

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
      Got my first contract extended today , they left it to the last minute, was due to finish on friday, plus I have next week off.
      They did that to me last month - they were a bit miffed when I told them I'd found somewhere else while they were dithering about (and I took a week off as well

Comment

That's not last minute!

I've been extended twice on my current contract. 1st time the day before it was due to end and the 2nd time the tuesday after my contract ended. Current extension ends on Friday and there have been rumblings about extending but still nothing official.

Let's see if they can get done before I leave

Comment

Originally posted by Royston Vasey
          They did that to me last month - they were a bit miffed when I told them I'd found somewhere else while they were dithering about (and I took a week off as well
          I nearly had another one lined up for monday, wonder what they would have done if I took it.

Comment

Always good to get that extension to confirm you have done the business, or at least appeared to !
            I have always wanted to have a fresh contract lined up when clients run things right down to the last day without a word, I think it shows a complete lack of respect not to tell you which way the wind is blowing even if it is - look, I am trying to get you an extension but have to wait for budget approval so can't promise anything.
            They then turn up and present you with the extension like it is coming out of their own pockets, often without even asking you if you want to stay ! It would be sweet to say - thanks, unfortunately I have taken another contract and will have to decline !
            Don't kid yourself this would cause anything but a minor blip but it would be fun !

Comment

I normally start discussing where we're going for the end of contract drinking session about two weeks before the contract is up. Discussing handover strategies is also another good way to focus their minds.

Comment

I can't believe some of you sit there in silience up until the last day, waiting for an extension.

Like it has been said, I raise the contract end-date at various points in the contract with the client management. If you receive very little information back when discussing handover process, closeout documentation, support, I usually make it clear that my company is now tendering for other work to keep the pipeline running (just like all consultancies do) and that there is a real risk now that continuity in supplying services will be broken if the contract is not going to be extended.

Comment

In fairness the client informed me it would be after the contract finished before they would know at interview stage, due to waiting for budgets (End of financial year etc.), the fact they have extended before getting the budget through is a good sign.

Comment

My first contract ended at Xmas, and we'd said informally that they'd probably extend for a month, but nothing was sorted out and the last day came and went. Then on the first working day of January they phoned up to say "yes we do want you for January".
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X