• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air conditioning the Tube?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air conditioning the Tube?

We've sent men to the moon, but air conditioning the tube seems to be beyond us. Anyone know why it's not possible? The only 'solution' I've heard is pumping cold air into the tube tunnels which doesn't sound efficent at all.

I have a solution, but seeing as they're only offering £100k I shall keep it to myself.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
      We've sent men to the moon, but air conditioning the tube seems to be beyond us. Anyone know why it's not possible?
      That's because there's no air on the moon to condition.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        That's because there's no air on the moon to condition.
        Oh yes there is, haven't you seen that photo with the flag?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
          We've sent men to the moon, but air conditioning the tube seems to be beyond us. Anyone know why it's not possible? The only 'solution' I've heard is pumping cold air into the tube tunnels which doesn't sound efficent at all.
          Have a look at a tube train as it comes out of the Tunnel. The reason should be fairly obvious - there is little room for the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
            Have a look at a tube train as it comes out of the Tunnel. The reason should be fairly obvious - there is little room for the equipment.
            The A/c unit doesnt have to go on the roof, it can go on the back of the train.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
              I've got a solution.

Think "Those weird money transporter things that you see in supermarkets"... That should shift plenty of air around...
              Last edited by Churchill; 20 April 2007, 08:47.

Comment

Flood the track's with chlorofluorocarbons which should keep things cool and deplete the ozone layer at the same time, which in turn allows the sun to burn off that nasty C02 and therefore solve global warming.

Or give everyone those little pifco fans.

Do I get a nobel prize as well as the 100k?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Very tall ventilation shafts with a turbine at the top.

Hot air rises, cold air is sucked in below.

Rising hot air spins a turbine at the top of the "Chimney" creating electricity.

Next...

Churchill - In "<Oops, forgot the rotating knives, conveyor belts and secret masonic handshake>" mode!

Comment

flood the tunnels with water and airtight the trains
                    that should make it cool
                    now my 100k

Comment

Working...
                    X