• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, I never knew that....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't shoot me but....

I worked for Datapoint between 1989 and 1993.
    My office was in Goswell Road EC1
    The head office was just off the North Circular in Neasdon.

Datapoint introduced several then ground breaking technologies including Arcnet for example.
    I think DOS had some Datapoint heritage as well.
    They also were early adopters of line of sight "colour" teleconferencing.

During my time the business was predominately Motor trade systems Ford DARTS for example running on networked clusters of 8600 processors and using an NCR 286 PC as central storage.

Datapoint were leaders in Call Routing, Datapoint ACDs were in most BT switch rooms, e.g. for the 192 service.
    Later Power Dialers came along which I guess was the dawn of today's cold calling call (scam)centres, sorry about that
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

For the nippers out there.
      Once upon a time in a galaxy far away long before the internet you know today there was the original Arc system that was initially going to be called 'Internet'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBH642ZEkHM

And I just remembered during boot the 8xxx range of Datapoint Processors used to boot up with a croaking sound and they continued to go rivet, rivet, until the network was found that sound really was exactly like a frog!
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
      X