• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you trace an IP using skype?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Lots of good stuff on the Skype protocol here

It's a peer to peer service with everything routed via super nodes so there is no way to see the IP addy of the phone you are calling, it's all routed behind the scenes. All you would see using a traffic sniffer would be the IP of the closest super node to you.

Setting up a fake site and baiting them with a message is probably the only way you will get anywhere.
    I think MSNP24 has changed this somewhat.

Comment

I would go to the police and let them know, they might do something about it because the thief is probably a repeat offender, and it might be worth their while.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I would go to the police and let them know, they might do something about it because the thief is probably a repeat offender, and it might be worth their while.
        Hi, I'd like to report a stolen computer.

Of course, when was this computer stolen?

In 2007

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

In 2007

ah....
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            I think MSNP24 has changed this somewhat.
            Well it has been 11 years....
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

In 2007

At least they could stand down the team and close the case.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Well it has been 11 years....

It seemed funny when I was drunk last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
                  Message away!

Website setup & logging. They've just come online again so we'll see if they take the bait.

Next up I'll try the free pizza!

On the general subject of stolen pc's\data, there was some useful personal data on it (in the wrong hands!) what else should I do?

I've changed all website passwords that may have been stored on the pc.
                  I'll check the credit reports in the next few months also.

Anything else worth doing\checking?

New laptop has been setup with a truecrypt volume & proper passwords. So hopefully next time round we'll be a little more prepared!
                  Skype them to tell them you’ve tracked their location. They’ll tulip themselves and wipe the device (perhaps).
                  Chances are it will go for £10 for a bag of skag and end up in a 2nd hand shop wiped in any case.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Skype them to tell them you’ve tracked their location. They’ll tulip themselves and wipe the device (perhaps).
                    Chances are it will go for £10 for a bag of skag and end up in a 2nd hand shop wiped in any case.
                    In 2007.

Comment

Working...
                    X