• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jailed terrorist attacked.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XTC
    I think that if we have immigrants commiting these crimes then they should have their visas/passports revoked, returned to their homeland where they can serve out their sentence.
    Does anyone know what the guy's nationality (and nationality at birth) is?

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony
      I agree with Old Greg, no matter what he has done, for us to be better and above the likes of the bomber we need to preserve a sense of justice. It’s too easy to slip into that mind set; we need to be above that sort of behaviour.

In a darker way I’d prefer him to see out his sentence living in fear every day, the same frame of mind that he has inflicted on a number of innocent individuals who are now scared to go out of their front door.

I actually think the second option is pretty cruel, it's like leaving an animal wounded to prolong its suffering. Maybe the prisoner should be given the choice. I wonder which would be most popular if jailtime was less cushy - a lifetime of fear and suffering (a la Shawshank) with no chance of parole or a quick painless injection.

Comment

this is the style of prison we should have

http://www.cnn.com/US/9907/27/tough.sheriff/

still too good for those al qaeda types though

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
          I respect your views, however this man was attempting to kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocent people and I cannot find it in me to condemn his attackers. I think years of tolerance and continued attacks are beginning to show through in people and again, I cannot say that I blame them.
          Was he not only Thinking about Planning a bombing? I can't recall if he had attempted at buying any materials. AFIK the only evidence I've heard of were some phone calls and a video.

Do your views extend to paedeophiles, murders, gays, thieves, ASBO holders - or just to this specific ethnic prisoner?
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
            I actually think the second option is pretty cruel, it's like leaving an animal wounded to prolong its suffering. Maybe the prisoner should be given the choice. I wonder which would be most popular if jailtime was less cushy - a lifetime of fear and suffering (a la Shawshank) with no chance of parole or a quick painless injection.
            I know in the US some states do offer inmates the choice of life in prison or death by gas chamber (or lethal injection.) I’d be interested in knowing what the stats are on this, and how many inmates choose to take their own lives.

I think that even with this option most would choose life, and then there is the old argument of sending 1 innocent man to their grave vs. letting 100 guilty men off.
            "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony
              I know in the US some states do offer inmates the choice of life in prison or death by gas chamber (or lethal injection.) I’d be interested in knowing what the stats are on this, and how many inmates choose to take their own lives.

I think that even with this option most would choose life, and then there is the old argument of sending 1 innocent man to their grave vs. letting 100 guilty men off.
              I thought that was only in 'Escape from New York'. I'm skeptical about this - is it really true?

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
                Was he not only Thinking about Planning a bombing? I can't recall if he had attempted at buying any materials. AFIK the only evidence I've heard of were some phone calls and a video.

Do your views extend to paedeophiles, murders, gays, thieves, ASBO holders - or just to this specific ethnic prisoner?

Please read my post.

I said "that as he was planning to kill thousands or hundreds of thousands..."

I am not sure how paedeophiles, murders, gays, thieves, ASBO holders fit into this category!!!

However, paedeophiles are a different story. I would be all for castration in these circumstances.

Comment

A bit in the paper today shows that one of the men jailed for plotting a dirty bomb attack on the UK was attacked in prison and covered in boiling oil...I find it hard to feel any sympathy for him.....

He is fighting for his life.....lets hope he gives up, it will save the country the cost of feeding him.
                  I find it hard to believe that the nitwits in the Home Office did not see this as a distinct possibility. Hang on a minute, maybe I answered my own query - I'll get my coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I thought that was only in 'Escape from New York'. I'm skeptical about this - is it really true?
                    Not sure to be honest, I am having a scan for the legislation for this.
                    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

However, paedeophiles are a different story. I would be all for castration in these circumstances.
                      But what you're taking about here, Let-me-in, is a change in the law (amusingly, one which pro-extreme Sharia law people would be right with you on). That's very different from accepting that these people should be subject to vigilante 'justice' inside or outside of prison (anyone remember the prisoners' kangaroo courts in the Strangeways riot?)

Comment

Working...
                      X