• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EBT - Employee Benefit Trust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Give the man/woman/alien a coconut...
    I don't like coconut. You got anything else?

Comment

There are a few loan-based schemes around, where the loan magically disappears every so often and you get a new one. Snag is, as soon as the loan is cancelled, you are liable for the tax on it as though it were earned income. Most of the sites promoting such schemes seem to forget to mention that bit.

Plus, of course, if you are UK tax resident, any income anywhere is taxable in the UK.

EBTs are illegal in the same way that MSCs are - if you use them, no problem as long as you pay full taxes, so not really much help.

The old rule applies - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Stick to umbrellas or your own company.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Passion fruit?
        Errrr. Yuk!

Comment

Come on dude. You not got nothing better?

Comment

Do you actually like that 5hit???

Comment

Just shut up and give me a banana!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                There are a few loan-based schemes around, where the loan magically disappears every so often and you get a new one. Snag is, as soon as the loan is cancelled, you are liable for the tax on it as though it were earned income. Most of the sites promoting such schemes seem to forget to mention that bit.
                EBTs are illegal in the same way that MSCs are - if you use them, no problem as long as you pay full taxes, so not really much help.
                Well if this is the case how come the companies are still in business, e.g. I've been emailed by AML (amlimited.com) promoting their EBT. I tried searching this forum for information unfortunately AML is 'too short' for a search and nothing comes up for amlimited.com. I've seen a separate thread for Denovo-Solar and have been put off by what was written there even though this is not an EBT.

In fact AML are now saying that "The recent Sempra tax case won against HMRC further strengthens the robustness of our Employee Benefit Trust approach. The end result is that AML people are continuing to receive between 82% and 85% of net take home, after tax and costs paid. ".

Regarding the cancellation of the loan being subject to tax, does anyone know where it says this on the hmrc web site - I've done a search but not found anything?

Regarding the statement that EBTs are illegal in the same way as MSCs, I cannot find anything on the hmrc that supports this - I'd be interested to see what the situation is.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                  Anyone use EBT's?

Looking for advice, advantages, disadvantages, do they work, offshore, legality.

Cheers
                  advice - Don't

Advantages - The government pay your accomodation when you are caught

Disadvantages - your accomodation in a cell is imposed on you

Do they work - Right up until either a) The company getting your money goes belly up and you are saddled with a secured loan or b) You are caught by TPTB

Legality - The government made them illegal during the last budget

Before engaging an EBT please ensure that you have your bargepole ready and avoid like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
                    Advantages - The government pay your accomodation when you are caught
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Breadfruit?
                      Sweetbreads?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X