Advice needed on getting a conservatory Advice needed on getting a conservatory
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    css_jay99 has no reputation

    css_jay99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    634

    Default Advice needed on getting a conservatory

    Hi all, I would like some questions regarding conservatories.
    I am planning on doing one and my next door neighbour whos just had one fitted said it cost him about £11k from a high steet firm.
    He also told me that if he had gone into B&Q or Argos for the units and then have someone come in and build a similar contruction would have cost him about half of what he spen.

    mmmm that got me thinking

    considering you lot earn a fortune anyway i doubt that you will go the cheaper route, anyway here goes:-


    1) How good are these B&Q/Argos conservaratory units compared to the high street ones , quality & price wise.
    2) same question goes for double glazings as well
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all

    css_jay99

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    richard-af is too good to be a permie

    richard-af's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Monaco-on-Thames
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99
    Hi all, I would like some questions regarding conservatories.
    I am planning on doing one and my next door neighbour whos just had one fitted said it cost him about £11k from a high steet firm.
    He also told me that if he had gone into B&Q or Argos for the units and then have someone come in and build a similar contruction would have cost him about half of what he spen.

    mmmm that got me thinking

    considering you lot earn a fortune anyway i doubt that you will go the cheaper route, anyway here goes:-


    1) How good are these B&Q/Argos conservaratory units compared to the high street ones , quality & price wise.
    2) same question goes for double glazings as well
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all

    css_jay99
    Get in Everest. Costs the Earth, but won't go yellow, leak, fall on your head, suffer condensation, etc.

    Or buy crap for a few quid.

    It's a part of your house - be careful! I speak from experience.

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    XTC has no reputation

    XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    603

    Default

    I've always liked David Cameron. Charming chap.

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    Bagpuss is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99
    Hi all, I would like some questions regarding conservatories.
    I am planning on doing one and my next door neighbour whos just had one fitted said it cost him about £11k from a high steet firm.
    He also told me that if he had gone into B&Q or Argos for the units and then have someone come in and build a similar contruction would have cost him about half of what he spen.

    mmmm that got me thinking

    considering you lot earn a fortune anyway i doubt that you will go the cheaper route, anyway here goes:-


    1) How good are these B&Q/Argos conservaratory units compared to the high street ones , quality & price wise.
    2) same question goes for double glazings as well
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all

    css_jay99
    It must have been a very big one for 11k. My parents just had one on a 4 bed detached, cost 7.5k, quality is top notch.

    PS the B&Q ones are sh1te, plus you'll still need a brickie
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

    But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    richard-af is too good to be a permie

    richard-af's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Monaco-on-Thames
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss
    It must have been a very big one for 11k. My parents just had one on a 4 bed detached, cost 7.5k, quality is top notch.

    PS the B&Q ones are sh1te, plus you'll still need a brickie
    And make sure you see and CHECK any insurance docs. any builder, brickie has.

  6. #6

    Godlike

    Ardesco is a permanent contractor

    Ardesco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all
    If you want to do it cheaply, DIY. You are probably just as experianced as 60% of the guys that put them up for a living...

    HTH

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    oraclesmith has no reputation

    oraclesmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    I've got a lovely hardwood conservatory from a reputable local joinery firm, double glazed with 5-ply polycarb roof. It cost about £7k plus a couple of thousand for the groundwork (dwarf wall, foundations).

    The same firm did our windows (in hardwood) and they are far better looking and actually cheaper than the typical double-glazing firms plastic ones.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    lukemg is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    I've got one you can have, terrible glass box things they are. Always the wrong temperature, no good reason to sit in one (dining room use excepted) they look awful and deteriorate over time. There will be a massive number getting removed in the next 15 years I reckon. If you defo need the extra room - consider a proper sun room - mostly brick with tall windows and skylights.

  9. #9

    Banned

    King Cnvt has no reputation

    King Cnvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lukemg
    I've got one you can have, terrible glass box things they are. Always the wrong temperature, no good reason to sit in one (dining room use excepted) they look awful and deteriorate over time. There will be a massive number getting removed in the next 15 years I reckon. If you defo need the extra room - consider a proper sun room - mostly brick with tall windows and skylights.

    Good advice. Looks SO much better than a dirty white uPVC monster stuck on the brickwork.

    Matching brickwork, skylights, tall windows and french doors. Class.

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Bagpuss is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardesco
    If you want to do it cheaply, DIY. You are probably just as experianced as 60% of the guys that put them up for a living...

    HTH
    I disagree, the groundwork/flooring and walls have to be done right or it will leak like a sieve.

    My parents got theirs from these guys, they don't cover where you live but maybe if you contact them they can put you in touch with a good company in your area. They charged just under 8k for the victorian inclusive of flooring, walls, blinds, fans the lot. It might have cost 6k as a DIY, but then it would look 6k


    www.planetpvc.co.uk
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 2nd August 2007 at 15:55.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

    But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •