• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Central heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central heating

I'm torn between getting a local non-Corgi registered geezer (mate of a mate) to install it (£2300) or British Gas (~£4000+). Don't want to phone up random plumbers in the Yellow Pages for fear of getting ripped off. This is for our 2 bed rental property.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated.

Originally posted by chicane
    I'm torn between getting a local non-Corgi registered geezer (mate of a mate) to install it (£2300) or British Gas (~£4000+). Don't want to phone up random plumbers in the Yellow Pages for fear of getting ripped off. This is for our 2 bed rental property.

If you're going to get a non corgi registered bloke to do it you might as well give it a go yourself and just gaffer tape it in there!

EDIT: Just read the thread below re conservatories
    Last edited by fzbucks; 2 August 2007, 19:48.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane

I managed to get about £500 of my British Gas quote by being very pushy on discounts etc.

Comment

Ask friends / neighbours if they know anyone who can do the job and is registered.

I'd steer clear of a non-registered installation - it could impact you when you come to sell up, not to mention gassing you to death
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by fzbucks
          If you're going to get a non corgi registered bloke to do it you might as well give it a go yourself and just gaffer tape it in there!

EDIT: Just read the thread below re conservatories
          And invest in a decent Funeral Plan.

Comment

when I had mine done I used the people that BG sub it out to,saved £1800, in the Bg price.
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
              I managed to get about £500 of my British Gas quote by being very pushy on discounts etc.
              Thanks - I'll give that a try when they come around to "survey the property".

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
              Ask friends / neighbours if they know anyone who can do the job and is registered.
              Already been down that avenue - sadly it seems that people only know "geezers" around here. Reliable and reasonably priced Corgi registered plumbers are like rocking horse sh*t around here it seems.

Originally posted by MrsGoof
              when I had mine done I used the people that BG sub it out to,saved £1800, in the Bg price.
              Funnily enough, I quizzed the guy I spoke to this evening whether a BG installation would be done by BG employees or contractors. I was assured it would be done by employees. Bizarrely, this was shortly before the BG guy told me he couldn't talk for any longer because he had to go and put his baby to bed.

How did you find out who BG sub their installation work to?

Comment

If it's a rental, doesn't it need to be Corgi registered?

Ah, here we are http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/gas_safety.htm

Gas Safety for Landlords and Property Agents

Key Points:
                Landlords are responsible in law for their tenant's safety.
                Annual gas Safety checks are a legal requirement - failure to do this can result in heavy fines or even imprisonment.
                In the case of residential properties, landlords (or their agents) have a statutory duty to arrange annual Gas Safety Checks by a registered CORGI installer.

Don't be such a tight arse, if you're going to take on the responsibility of renting a property out then don't play with your tenants' lives.

Comment

Not something you mess about with. A man must know his limitations. Get a Corgi man.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If your tenants wake up dead one day, you are going to be in a spot of bother.

Pay British Gas and then put their rent up.

Comment

Working...
                    X