• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Hours - Where Did My Life Go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Hours - Where Did My Life Go?

I'm a first time contractor; 2 1/2 months' into my first contract.

As a permie I had a fairly good work\life balance - worked a basic 37 hour week and had time to go to the gym after work, spend time with the girlfriend etc.

I am only contracted to a 40 hour week. I work with a lot of contractors and competition to impress more than the next man and to secure that next renewal is high. I've been starting work at 8am (most contractors are already at their desks working when I arrive) and leaving work at about 7pm (most contractors are still at their desks working when I leave). Is this normal?

My limited experience of contracting and other seasoned contractors is that you are worked to within an inch of your life and fellow contractors would sell you down the river and not loose a moments sleep to get their renewal ahead of you.

Yes. Next.

Comment

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars
      I'm a first time contractor; 2 1/2 months' into my first contract.

As a permie I had a fairly good work\life balance - worked a basic 37 hour week and had time to go to the gym after work, spend time with the girlfriend etc.

I am only contracted to a 40 hour week. I work with a lot of contractors and competition to impress more than the next man and to secure that next renewal is high. I've been starting work at 8am (most contractors are already at their desks working when I arrive) and leaving work at about 7pm (most contractors are still at their desks working when I leave). Is this normal?

My limited experience of contracting and other seasoned contractors is that you are worked to within an inch of your life and fellow contractors would sell you down the river and not loose a moments sleep to get their renewal ahead of you.
      depends which organisation your work for - but in general for most large companies/banks this is normal, however as a contractor the idea is you work extra hard on a contract, have a good break when contract finish - stay at home with the family or travel for a month or two. Or you can always get a contract with a small org/government every now and again, less pay but better work/life balance.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Are you getting paid just for 40 or for all the hours?
        No, I'm on a day rate. It's not a bad one though it has to be said.

Comment

Yes but you need to divide by the hours.

Just out of interest what is your daily rate?
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The feckers are probably just posting crap all day on CUK and pretending to be working.

Do the std 40 hours and then work on a plan b at your desk for the rest of the time.

Comment

Sounds like you are working in IB.

The question is, are you getting a good rate that makes it worthwhile?.

I could get £500/day, but choose to get less for an easier life.

Decide whether you want the money or the life and then take it from there.

In your shoes, I would stick it out for the experience and then start working your 40 hour week. If they bin you then get another contract, if they keep you then great - you will be the envy of the others.
              Back at the coal face

Comment

Is that true.

I have a crap rate, but I struggle to do 40 hours. I was wondering about going into an IB in London but my suspicion is that I might be expected to work hard. Would this be a correct assumption ?
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

This is exactly why I steer well clear of city type jobs. I prefer to earn a bit less per day and at the same time have a life.
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Where are you working?

Regular 11 hour days is nuts, unless you are getting paid daft amounts for it. Have a look at some of the lower tier IBs. Its a standard 9 till 5-30 where I am for everyone, and the rate is still decent (500-600 / day). And we still get to post sh1te here all day.

At the end of the day, you are your own boss. If you dont like it - walk. Why are people killing themselves to get a renewal anyway? The market is pretty strong - my experince is that the line managers just want an easy life and would rather renew someone good who they know who works 45 hour weeks than go back to market and take their chances on a random to get an extra 10 hours "seat time".
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                    X