• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How agencies work.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oraclesmith
    Here's a question for you Dodgy :-

With most contractors' CV's on Jobserve or Jobsite etc, openly available for searching by agencies, why do many of them insist on taking a local copy which is by definition going to become quickly out of date compared to the contractor-maintained Jobserve/Jobsite version ?

Every week I get e-mail's from EB's asking me to apply for roles and/or update my CV on their database. Of course I can't be bothered to update each agency's database when I can just update the one on Jobsite and the other one on Jobserve.
    That is a very good question. I think it just doesnt occur to them to look. If this were the rule for all contractors then maybe they would link their systems in to Jobserve/jobsite accordingly. They will all have a proprietary copy of your CV in order that they can attach it to activity records (this applies to my agency) and stick their logos etc on it when they send it out.

It may be an idea for you to generate a standard email that tells them to go to jobserve/site for the latest copy of your CV.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

One agent mate of mine says he hasn't searched his company's in-house CV database for over a year, and only ever uses the online ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        If this were the rule for all contractors then maybe they would link their systems in to Jobserve/jobsite accordingly. They will all have a proprietary copy of your CV in order that they can attach it to activity records (this applies to my agency) and stick their logos etc on it when they send it out.
        Ok, so there's a free Plan B idea for someone. Develop an agency system that will integrate with Jobserve and Jobsite and allow localisation of CV's (addition of activity records, notes etc) but with basic CV data driven by the site. Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
          One agent mate of mine says he hasn't searched his company's in-house CV database for over a year, and only ever uses the online ones.

It is third on our list of activities behind advertising and searching job boards
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Ok, so there's a free Plan B idea for someone. Develop an agency system that will integrate with Jobserve and Jobsite and allow localisation of CV's (addition of activity records, notes etc) but with basic CV data driven by the site. Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.
            It needs to be simple and remember agents are lazy

Comment

Dodgy
              You sound like a good agent
              I am looking for a contract ,can I send you my CV

Comment

Dodge , what is the average pay agents make ?

So what happens if you go to other agent’s geographical territory ? They send you the gorilaz ?
                Last edited by 2uk; 3 August 2007, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                  Dodge , what is the average pay agents make ?

So what happens if you go to a other agent’s geographical territory ? They send you the gorilaz ?
                  I have a mate who reckons he makes £80k as a rec agent (circa $6k ish / month).

But he has just bought a £150k flat in Bristol.

If I was on £80k I would want more than an £150k flat.

Comment

Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.
                    That's my plan B indeed!

Comment

Working...
                    X