• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Released from contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Sounds perfect, where do I sign?
    It happens. Don't get upset about it. Where human beings are involved sooner or later there will be personality differences and the contractor will get the can. It's inevitable, there isn't a lot you can do about it so there is no point worrying. (Unless of course it is happening on every gig then you might want to have a look at yourself).
    Gonzo is spot on here. After all, very few clients get contractors in because things are going really, really well. I guess the trick is not to make them worse
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Have the feeling something similar will happen to me soon. Been in work all weekend trying to get a new application tested for Monday. The permies have no idea how to write test cases - they just cut and paste statements out of the reqs spec. So I get on average 7 minutes to run tests that I have to spend half an hour running around doing the test analyst work that should have been done up front. The permies get pats on the back for writing tests so quick.

All good fun - and time and a half for the weekend

Comment

More entertainment ensued when I asked the test manager about the strategy. Reply... 'Whats a strategy'. She asked me to put something in writing to her (without the time to consult as required). Just after this amusement she then talked about rates, advising that as they are paying the agency twice as much as they pay permies they expect twice the work.

Glad out of there to be honest.

Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow
          More entertainment ensued when I asked the test manager about the strategy. Reply... 'Whats a strategy'. She asked me to put something in writing to her (without the time to consult as required). Just after this amusement she then talked about rates, advising that as they are paying the agency twice as much as they pay permies they expect twice the work.

Glad out of there to be honest.

Madness.
          It shouldn't be twice the work necessarily, more like twice the skill and twice as effective - half the office politics, half the sickies and half the holidays etc.

Comment

Work harder not smarter.

My last but one projectmanager was mint. He had no problems with me doing 4 or 5 hours a day or less as long as at the end of day/week/month every report was bang upto date and completley correct.

I took the load of him so he was fine with it.

Comment

Ah the joys of working in an Agile (aka. change the specs at the drop of a hat and don't have any hard and fast requirements or documentation) environment.

I have found that the best thing to do in Agile environments is have an overview of areas that you want to test and some high level scripts covering the essential areas because the application is likely to change so not much point in getting too low level.

I usually ended up creating the low level scripts the 2 weeks before testing commenced (when the spec was pretty much fixed for that revision) and amending them on the fly as testing was performed and the dev team explained why some things worked differently to the way I was expecting it to work.

I have found that in an Agile environment you really need to have good communication and a good working relationship with the coders as they won't have coded the program exactly the way the spec says they should and they will usually have got sign off to deviate from the spec, but nobody will bother to update the spec while this is going on.

As a rule of thumb I tend to guess how much time it will take me to test soemthing and double it and then say that this does not include contingency when working in an agile environment. This way I normally look good when I test it in less time than estimated and if they throw me a curve ball I usually have enough time to deal with said curve ball. An agile environament is a pain in the arse to test in IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                An agile environment is a pain in the arse to test in IMHO.
                Sadly I think you're right, and you've got a very sensible attitude. But if it is that way, the developers aren't being properly agile.

they won't have coded the program exactly the way the spec says they should and they will usually have got sign off to deviate from the spec, but nobody will bother to update the spec while this is going on
                again, if they were properly agile, your test cases would be the spec.

I am not a big fan of Dilbert, but I think this is what's going on:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/cote/63914774/

Comment

The big problem is that most methodologies that are used are implemented in a half assed way and not done properly. In the past 10 years i have not yet worked in a company where the methodology has been used text book style, and i doubt I ever will.

The sad fact is that as a contractor I never seen a complete and up to date spec, apart from in banking. I am a firm believer that any company capable of producing a spec that is complete and up to date likely doesn't need to bring in contractors to get their project running smoothly again. Banks seem to be the best with specs in my experience, but generally because banks are anal about audit trails and the people working in them are obsessed with covering their asses.

Comment

My previous contract was terminated all of a sudden last Feb, I had a 4 weeks notice, but the agency or the client (not sure who) didn't want to pay the notice, after a lot of negotiations I settled for 2 weeks notice. Now to my surprise the agency are calling me again for another role..hmmm
                    Last edited by zamzummim; 6 August 2007, 10:35.

Comment

Working...
                    X