• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Released verbally but not in writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Released verbally but not in writing

Guys, I have a problem.

I have been released early from the end client, but not had anything in writing from the hiring company who I have my contract with.

I have another gig working away if I want it, but bearing in mind I have had nothing I writing, I am wondering two thigns:

1. Clearly there is no more work for me here from Friday, but not officially released in writing.
    2. It would be great if I could hold the hiring company to two weeks money in lieu of anything in writing.

The issue is that I was hoping that they would just put me to another site, but I have heard nothing back, and they are an eggs in one basket firm with no other suitable sites for me to go to.

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Guys, I have a problem.
    The game's over, then. Get hold of someone at the Hiring Co. and tell them your thoughts.

Comment

If your terms are "two weeks notice in writing", you should remind them, not just wait for them to spot it in the small print. You'd be acting in bad faith if you were just trying to catch them out, and that might make things hard to pursue. Otherwise, fine.

Comment

Keep invoicing for the daily / hourly rates until such time you get the notice in writing. I suspect you'd be in a strong legal position to claim loss of earnings due to the terms of the contract not being met. That's my guess.

Comment

most contracts have a clause which gives the other party immediate
          rights to terminate the contract without notice, I wouldn't be surprised if they used this.

best advice is to probably get the other contract and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Yoghurt View Post
            Keep invoicing for the daily / hourly rates until such time you get the notice in writing. I suspect you'd be in a strong legal position to claim loss of earnings due to the terms of the contract not being met. That's my guess.
            Loss of earnings?? If there is no work you shouldn't be getting paid!! Are you trying to be a disguised employee???

If the gig is over it's all good. Get it in writing to cover your ass (i.e. they can't turn around and tell you to come back in, and that there is nothing in writing saying that they released you when you get a new gig) and go find something else. The fact they are willing to give you 2 weeks notice is a bonus, a lot of places will find a reason to invoke instant termination to save 2 weeks money.

No point trying to drag it out and take them to court, you won't get enough to cover your costs (bring loss of time working and travel to court into it if you think you will cover your costs) and you will also piss off the client when they are in the right.

There is also a good chance you will get nowhere as you have been verbally released and when asked in court you will have to fess up to the fact or commit perjury. If you commit perjury expect a good 10 years in the slammer, is it really worth it?

Anyway you are a contractor, you are supposed to be constantly moving arouns, finding new challenges and opportunities!!! Embrace the freedom!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Guys, I have a problem.

I have been released early from the end client, but not had anything in writing from the hiring company who I have my contract with.

I have another gig working away if I want it, but bearing in mind I have had nothing I writing, I am wondering two thigns:

1. Clearly there is no more work for me here from Friday, but not officially released in writing.
              2. It would be great if I could hold the hiring company to two weeks money in lieu of anything in writing.

The issue is that I was hoping that they would just put me to another site, but I have heard nothing back, and they are an eggs in one basket firm with no other suitable sites for me to go to.
              Just ring or email them, asking to get confirmation of the new end date of the contract, then get on Jobserve and start looking elsewhere.

You won't get notice paid, unless you are actually on site and working for that time. I've just given my notice on the current contract, and am just hoping that they don't terminate it before the end of the four weeks notice is up...
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X