• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I claim my glasses as expenses ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    And thou shalt be blighted by the curses of the Great Prophet (or Profit) El Ron... until the end of thy days... much weeping and gnashing of teeth will befall thee.

Or something...
    We all know you're in league with Xenu, Zeity.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      (I last read the details of this case several years ago, so I may have got it wrong...)
      You are right. I followed this one too, and remember thinking that if a barrister and a female one at that couldn't win, there was no chance for me.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
        I asked my accountant this when first starting out.

The response was that it was only claimable if the item of clothing was specifically designed for doing the job you are doing.

I.e. overalls, yes if you are a mechanic or simillar.
        Because they are specifically designed for keeping what's underneath clean when doing dirty jobs.

But a suit / shirt / trousers, no, not as someone who sits at a desk all day.
        Because it is not specifically designed for wearing whilst sitting at a desk all day.
        Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
        The famous case in this regard is the barrister who argued that she would never wear her court clothes in a non-working situation, so should be able to claim. The judge turned her down, I think on the grounds of dual-purpose. While her clothes may have served the purpose of being appropriate dress for court, they also served the non-work purpose of preventing her from being naked, therefore as an expense they were not wholly and exclusively for the purposes of work.

(I last read the details of this case several years ago, so I may have got it wrong...)
        What about if they were company branded?

My wife's company has just bought some branded T-shirts and stuff, for staff use. Can they be claimed as expenses?

If they were being given out as promotional material, then they would be OK, but what if they were just being given to staff to wear?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would think that company branded stuff would be ok, as the company would purchase and then provide for the staff to use.

However, I would have thought that a company branded uniform would cost more than a "standard" item, and the savings would be very marginal if at all - and you'd have to wear it at a client site...

Could be funny though if you've incorporated with a funny company name like "I'm outside IR35 so there Ltd"
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            I would think that company branded stuff would be ok, as the company would purchase and then provide for the staff to use.

However, I would have thought that a company branded uniform would cost more than a "standard" item, and the savings would be very marginal if at all - and you'd have to wear it at a client site...

Could be funny though if you've incorporated with a funny company name like "I'm outside IR35 so there Ltd"
            It's not designed as a cost saving - more that she needs some funky t-shirts to advertise the company with when she does events, so if she can claim them against the company then she will.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

should be fine then, just bog standard business expense.
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Glasses

You can get your limited company to pay for glasses as long as the receipt says 'for VDU use'.

Comment

Working...
                X