• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget car insurance

I called them to cancel my re-newal, as I've new cover now. Nevertheless they automatically took the full year cover from my credit card and will not refund me until they see the new cover note. Is this legal? I've told them on the phone I've new cover and they give themselves an interest free loan? It will take me a week to get the money back at least.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Not sure of the specifics, but some thoughts.

Most insurers automatically renew your policy and you have to give them advance notice (period would probably depend on your insurer) if you do not wish this to happen.

However, with insurance, don't you have a 14 day 'cooling off' period where you can cancel and get all your money back. Not sure if this applies to renewals but may be worth a quick Google.

Wrt to seeing your new cover, suspect that is b0ll0cks.
    Wtf has it got to do with them whether you have new cover or not.
    Point of the matter is you do not wish to stay with them.

Try and speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey - you may get somewhere then.

Comment

Call the credit card company (or bank) and tell them that the money was taken from your account without any authorisation.

Comment

"will not refund me until they see the new cover note"

I doubt that is legal. As stated on the last post, call the credit card company. I'd also progress this further up their customer services dept. They can't take money for a product you do not want.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          "will not refund me until they see the new cover note"

I doubt that is legal. As stated on the last post, call the credit card company. I'd also progress this further up their customer services dept. They can't take money for a product you do not want.
          That amounts to forcing you to get insurance, which can't be legal. You could be leaving it off road.

My 2nd car is with Budget (renewal in 6 weeks), so thanks for the warning.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Better still if you had sold it. I imagine the insurance is pretty cheap for a car you don't own and so not allowed to drive.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I called the credit card company. They tell me they've got to honour the agreement. So the first time I handed over my credit card details meant they can continue debiting my card for how long? I could be dead they be making a tidy little savings racket.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What does it say in their terms and conditions?

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Speak to a solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Thanks for the advice guys. I called the credit card company. They tell me they've got to honour the agreement. So the first time I handed over my credit card details meant they can continue debiting my card for how long? I could be dead they be making a tidy little savings racket.
                    What "agreement"? You have no agreement with your credit card company to pay money to your ex-insurance company.

Instruct your credit card company to initiate a chargeback against your insurance company with immediate effect. If they refuse take them to the small claims court.

Comment

Working...
                    X