• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ruggers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think ITV have put together a pretty good commentary and studio group this time. Will Greenwood is fantastic and Martin Johnson has pure authority in everything he says.

But there are a lot of infuriating things about their coverage, and the biggest of all is Jim Rosenthal whose every word makes me cringe. He seems to be on some kind of commission to include every possible nickname and cliche in existence as often as possible and obviously doesn't listen to a word that the real experts say. He'll start a conversation with, "So, reigning World Champions England really struggling there against the plucky Eagles - The Yanks. Do Brian Ashton's men have a chance against The Boks?" Followed by studio experts saying, yes, of course England have a chance against South Africa. Summed up by Rosenthal as, "So, reigning World Champions England really struggling against the plucky Eagles - The Yanks. Brian Ashton's men will be worried about facing The Boks." Cut to studio experts, faces in hands with embarrassment.

Comment

I thought it was funny when he called the All Blacks chokers.. and then he almost shat himself when he relised Sean Fitzpatrick was going to throttle him. He could have backed down a little faster.. but not by much.

Comment

Anyone watch the the SA match with Samoa.. feck that was physical
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          "The chiropracter" was only on the field for a few minutes, but the tackle he was criticised for was the way the evey member of the Samoan team made every tackle, when they appeared in the first world cup.

I think the theory of tackling is that if you stop someone away from the center of gravity you can more easily bring them down. This historically meant tackling round the ankles, or as low as you could. The Samoans worked out that if you jumped into the air and led with your shoulder into the guy's face (err.. not that's not allowed, I mean his chest of course), you were just as far from his centre of gravity, you caused him to rotate backwards rather than forwards, and there was a reasonable chance he wouldn't feel like playing any more afterwards. (If he was still capable of feeling anything at all...)

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            They're showing this live on German TV (DSF, normally only good after midnight for Sexy Sports Clips) which is nice. Caught the All Blacks against Italy which was a pretty good game except the Italians didn't stand a chance.
            Watched it on French tv myself (TF2) - I was pleased at least that Italy managed to score!

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
              Watched it on French tv myself (TF2) - I was pleased at least that Italy managed to score!
              EeeTAHLya!!

I wonder how the romans pronounced it?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Anyone see how fecking big the Samoan no 18 was?!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                  EeeTAHLya!!

I wonder how the romans pronounced it?
                  Quite.

Comment

Working...
                  X