• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

move into trading?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work on a quant desk - I'm not a mathematician, all I do is shovel data into systems that already exist. There are some very bright people that sit alongside me, but I'm not one of them...

I'm good at looking busy and nodding though.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      I work on a quant desk - I'm not a mathematician, all I do is shovel data into systems that already exist. There are some very bright people that sit alongside me, but I'm not one of them...

I'm good at looking busy and nodding though.
      Top man... your honesty is refreshing!
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Was this the era of neural networks?

That's all gone, algorithmic trading is by comparison quite simple.
        Neural nets were [maybe still are] part of it, but not the entire picture. AI applied to finance covers a huge gamut from statistical NLP [how to read the newqs automatically to ascertain likely changes in market sentiment], data mining to extract patterns in marketing activity, agent based trading models [try googling financial trading agent model], heuristic driven evolutionary optimisation [esp. for portfolio analsysis in the presence of non linear constraints] etc. But AI's nowt really the physicists are getting involved, anyone for quantum theory based trading http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/22098

Have a nice day ya awl!

Nick

Comment

Herodutus and Socrates

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Nick... just reading that gave me a headache! do you actually enjoy & get personal satisfaction working at this level? if so what are the highs & lows?
          Mmmm! I'll take that as a compliment.

Well first I'm not in the financial markets anymore, moved out to live a country life in deepest [Hampshire Wiltshire Somerset]. So the highs / lows are not financial profit sadly. I suppose I just like stuffing my head full of nonsense, as my mother would have said.

The only problem with the approach, that is its low, is that of Herodotus "This is the bitterest pain among men, to have much knowledge but no power."

The high is that of Socrates "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."

TTFN
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPearce View Post
            Mmmm! I'll take that as a compliment.

Well first I'm not in the financial markets anymore, moved out to live a country life in deepest [Hampshire Wiltshire Somerset]. So the highs / lows are not financial profit sadly. I suppose I just like stuffing my head full of nonsense, as my mother would have said.

The only problem with the approach, that is its low, is that of Herodotus "This is the bitterest pain among men, to have much knowledge but no power."

The high is that of Socrates "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."

TTFN
            Nick
            Thanks... & it was meant as a compliment btw

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Thanks... & it was meant as a compliment btw
              My dear chap, how kind. Contractors must be coming up in the world. Next you'll want to be my friend on Bebo :-)

Nick

Comment

My dear chap, how kind. Contractors must be coming up in the world. Next you'll want to be my friend on Bebo :-)

Nick
                Steady on! ... normal service will be resumed shortly

Comment

I haven't a clue what you lot are talking about. I'm a 9-5 Access Monkey and proud of it.

Comment

Well first I'm not in the financial markets anymore, moved out to live a country life in deepest [Hampshire Wiltshire Somerset].
                    That's a big place you have there.

Are you a Duke?

Comment

I need a large place to hide.

There are no Dukes in [Hampshire Wiltshire Somerset] but if you'd care to call the office at Longleat Lord Bath is always on the look out for new wifelets

Nick

Comment

Working...
                      X