• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shoe shops to get sales boost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe shops to get sales boost

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...9/npreg109.xml

"Women in their 29th week of pregnancy will be given a one-off payment of as much as £200 along with professional health advice on maintaining a balanced diet."

"But how they spend the money will not be monitored, prompting concern from health charities that it could be spent on unhealthy products such as cigarettes and alcohol."

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

You silly man. We cannot buy shoes when we are pregnant. Feet swell and change shape due to the hormones. My friend's feet went up a whole size!

Comment

surely that's all the more reason to buy new shoes..?

Comment

Lets face it. Anyone who doesn't fritter this money away and actually uses it on healthy food probably didn't need the £200 in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          "Women in their 29th week of pregnancy will be given a one-off payment of as much as £200 along with professional health advice on maintaining a balanced diet."
          This of course assumes that they have a balanced diet to maintain. In fact, by the 29th week of pregnancy, they're probably subsisting almost entirely on coal smeared with marmalade.

But yes, whatever their diet, any additional funds are going to be spent on shoes; or, at least, more so than anything else.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...9/npreg109.xml

"But how they spend the money will not be monitored, prompting concern from health charities that it could be spent on unhealthy products such as cigarettes and alcohol."

A Balanced Diet?
            Oh! You mean a bar of chocolate in each hand
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Why don't they sign them up for a box scheme...as if they'd spend it on vegetables...how naive can the government get...

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
                Why don't they sign them up for a box scheme...as if they'd spend it on vegetables...how naive can the government get...
                Old git that I am, I remember a weekly or fortnightly trip to the local clinic for cod liver oil, and was it orange juice?

Eeh bah gum, when I were a lad, we had lots of things you don't get today. Rickets, diphtheria, ringworm...

Comment

Eeh bah gum, when I were a lad, we had lots of things you don't get today. Rickets, diphtheria, ringworm...
                  Shouldnt that be attributed to Mike Harding circa 1978 or some such?
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Shouldnt that be attributed to Mike Harding circa 1978 or some such?
                    Well spotted.

Tony Capstick. I used to have the single, though my memory says a year or two later.

Comment

Working...
                    X