• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At what age do you plan to retire?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what age do you plan to retire?

When I first started work and had no idea about the world I smugly claimed "I'm going to retire at 35!".

As I get closer to that number and having spent weeks on the bench at a time I think I would be bored out of my brain if I ever retired that young.

Now I'm thinking more like 50.

Oh and when I say "retire" I mean no longer working full time-ish for a living. eg you might do some part time work, more for interest than money.

Although half of you lot are probably retired already
    Last edited by beaker; 10 September 2007, 21:29.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

I'll class myself as being retired when I don't have to rely on external sources of income (pension included).

I dont want to retire young per-se. My plan is to work my knackers off till I am 30 and take 5 years off and do tulip that I want to do (work my way round the world etc) then start again when I am 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      I'll class myself as being retired when I don't have to rely on external sources of income (pension included).

I dont want to retire young per-se. My plan is to work my knackers off till I am 30 and take 5 years off and do tulip that I want to do (work my way round the world etc) then start again when I am 35.
      if you do that you wont get a job again

in IT, your finished at 40

Comment

I doubt it. I know many good IT contractors in their 40s and 50s. Perhaps it's only the bad ones that are finished?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wait until you have a family - the demands on your cash never stop... I'd be retired and in the sun by now if it was only me..... but then life would have been sooooooo dull.
          Another thing to consider is how would you occupy your time once retired- I get bored very quickly watching daytime drivel TV...need something to do...

Best advice is to get to a comfortable financial position by 40, then cherry pick the contracts you accept...
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post

We can still bloody spell though!

Comment

I planned to retire at 30, I am now 56. I spend most of my working time cleaning up the sh1t made by young “IT know-alls” who don’t think through what they do.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I think the correct answer is always: "5 years from now." The key phrase is not retiring, but not having to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Best advice is to get to a comfortable financial position by 40, then cherry pick the contracts you accept...
                  Yes, something like that, and get out of IT altogether by 50 max.

Oh and when I say "retire" I mean no longer working full time-ish for a living. eg you might do some part time work, more for interest than money.
                  Agreed. A non-demanding plan B, rather than working in B&Q as a silver server though.

Comment

I think you may find a lot of "unfinished" posters here beyond 40.

Seriously it isn't a problem at all, I also wouldn't see a problem beyond 50.

The age problem is "yesteryear".
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X