• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will a sky box pick up free channels without subscr?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a sky box pick up free channels without subscr?

Reception where I live is poor, but there is a sky dish already installed from previous owner. Can I hook up and get free channels without subscribing?
    (assuming I can locate a box)
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Yep, but you'll need to buy a FTV card for a one-off fee from Sky. £20 when I bought mine a couple of years ago.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Interesting question

Q. What if I don't want to subscribe to Sky.

A. You can use your box without a card to view the BBC channels that you are used to. You would get quite a few extra channels free (like CNN, Sky, News, Travel, shopping and Asian channels). There are also many radio channels. Much of the output of the main broadcasters is in widescreen and all these are good reasons for getting a digibox even if you don't want to subscribe.
      FTA (Free To Air) channels, all BBC, Sky News, QVC and some others, means that you can watch them without a card.
      FTV (Free To View) include ITV, C4 and C5, meaning that you can watch these channels without subscription but you will still need a card for copyright reasons. If you want to receive these FTV channels without subscribing to Sky then you can contact them and request a card. At present, it costs £20.00 and will last for at least 3 years. All Sky cards will only work in Sky digiboxes. If you do call Sky for a card then you will need to know your digibox's serial number.

http://www.sjstv.co.uk/skyfault.html
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

It's not necessarily the same free channels that are free on Freeview though.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nice one, thanks!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
          X