More fingers than teeth

zeitghost is a fount of knowledge

Default Wires are better?

Germans worried about WiFi...

Use Cat5, you know it makes sense...

http://environment.independent.co.uk...cle2944417.ece

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

I cabled up my flat recently and turned wireless off because of performance issues more than anything else, I hated getting booted from world or warcraft because my wireless connection kept dropping out..
    Whatever...

Godlike

wendigo100 is too good to be a permie

Why get alarmed at all this exposure to radiation? From what I've seen in films it makes you a superhero with special powers, which is surely a good thing.

These scare stories are started just so the government can go around in special vans with detectors and make sure you've got a WiFi licence, and voila! Another stealth tax!

PS: Or a supervillain of course.

Fingers like lightning

gadgetman has no reputation

I use WiFi only for browsing or for the kids MSN.

For anything serious e.g. streaming, downloading I used wired or Homeplugs.

I almost typed "Hoeplugs" back there - the mind boggles

Godlike

snaw is too good to be a permie

Biggest issue with wireless, in living in a flat in london anyway, is interference from the neigbours - I regularily pick up 12+ different SSID. So I just went out and bought a bigger f off antenna. Problem solved (For me anyway)
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Banned

DBA_bloke has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Why get alarmed at all this exposure to radiation? From what I've seen in films it makes you a superhero with special powers, which is surely a good thing.

These scare stories are started just so the government can go around in special vans with detectors and make sure you've got a WiFi licence, and voila! Another stealth tax!

PS: Or a supervillain of course.
    Yes! It was disappointing, wasn't it, to see no superheroes emerge from the Chernobyl aftermath. Not even a crappy Wolverine type. Made the whole disaster ten times worse, if you ask me.

Contractor Among Contractors

Zorba is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Yes! It was disappointing, wasn't it, to see no superheroes emerge from the Chernobyl aftermath. Not even a crappy Wolverine type. Made the whole disaster ten times worse, if you ask me.
    Glad it wasn't just me. Although I was hoping more for evil mutants that would have to be defeated by our 'normal' Army, thus proving that we are in fact the pinnacle of evolution.

Telepathy would be cool, though.

And I agree with using cables if you can, simply for performance issues and getting rid of the godawful system tray cruft that most wifi installs.
    Last edited by Zorba; 13th September 2007 at 10:27. Reason: Forgot to write the stuff I actually wanted to, which was actually related to the thread.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Of course, we don't know the effects on the wildlife - spiders, lizards and such like.

Contractor Among Contractors

NoddY has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by snaw View Post
    Biggest issue with wireless, in living in a flat in london anyway, is interference from the neigbours - I regularily pick up 12+ different SSID. So I just went out and bought a bigger f off antenna. Problem solved (For me anyway)
    Wireless is still not a mature technology. It was rushed to market, hence the multitude of problems the average punter has. 802.11n has much promise, we'll see if it delivers next year.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Especially lizards!

Although feckin' great intelligent spiders might be a problem for mankind as well.

Hang on, who recently highlighted all the giant spider stories?