• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had an MRI scan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    According to "House", prison tattoos can, owing to metallic particles in the ink used, lead to excruciating pain, when the particles are drawn through the skin, like bizillions of little razors. Just a thought.
    And some other metallic based tattoos (principally applied in North America). It's one of the things that Mrs OG screens for before sticking people in the scanner.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I've had two, one before and one after surgery for two slipped disks in the neck. ( I thought it was just shoulder pain, but when my left arm got paralysed and my fingers went numb, I was a little alarmed. Oh, and it started to hurt a lot ).
      My left arm feels numb sometimes, I went in with a complaint about my shoulder and he thought it was more likely to be a problem with my neck so it may be a similar thing.

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
      According to "House", prison tattoos can, owing to metallic particles in the ink used, lead to excruciating pain, when the particles are drawn through the skin, like bizillions of little razors. Just a thought.

[EDIT] Razor analogy is wrong. The metal oxide particles can heat-up and burn... rare, though.
      I used to have problems with my contact lenses (non disposable in those days) The optician said he had never seen anything like it when he noticed hundreds of red dots on them, it turns out the metal dust particles at my work were oxidising on the surface.... I must stop reading this as I'm feeling a little faint.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Apart from your whole body turning inside out and spraying everyone with offal, you'll be fine. This is the NHS after all. Best medical care in the world.

I'm sure the foreign trainee operator who speaks no English and has had 2 hours training will look after you....

Fooked mate.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Had an MRI a few years ago, it was okay, must lay very still and had to drink some radioactive yuk beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            Had an MRI a few years ago, it was okay, must lay very still and had to drink some radioactive yuk beforehand.
            Drambuie?

Comment

is it true that MRI used to be called NMR but they got fed up of people turning up at hospitals and the nurses giving them an enema ???????????

Comment

I've had lots and lots of MRI scans, sometimes as many as 6 in one day. There again, aw bless some other poster can fill in the rest.

Lucy: doubt it was radioactive...

If the machine is modern you won't need to lay as still as you did with the older ones.

The tattoos thing is that it can mess up the image. Excruciating pain indeed!?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by madhippy View Post
                  is it true that MRI used to be called NMR but they got fed up of people turning up at hospitals and the nurses giving them an enema ???????????
                  They dropped the N because it was confusing the loonies who thought it was like nuclear, as in radioactive.

Or so I was told by the chap who changed the name.

Comment

Had a course at the uni about the maths behind MRI. The most boring course ever...

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
                      Had a course at the uni about the maths behind MRI. The most boring course ever...
                      Didn't have me teaching it I take it. I get invites from all over the world to do my 'How MRI works and what's the maths like' talks.

Comment

Working...
                      X