• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had an MRI scan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had an MRI scan?

I went to see my GP yesterday as an old shoulder injury has been playing up for the past 5 years and I thought it was about time I had it looked at, to my surprise he booked me in for an MRI scan there and then, I’ve just been reading about the procedure and it mentions that if you have ever worked in a machine shop you will need to have your eyes X-rayed before they put you in the big tube as any metal fragments can be ‘sucked’ out and cause blindness… I spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.

Anyone had an MRI scan for this sort of thing? Should I be scared?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I went to see my GP yesterday as an old shoulder injury has been playing up for the past 5 years and I thought it was about time I had it looked at, to my surprise he booked me in for an MRI scan there and then, I’ve just been reading about the procedure and it mentions that if you have ever worked in a machine shop you will need to have your eyes X-rayed before they put you in the big tube as any metal fragments can be ‘sucked’ out and cause blindness… I spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.

I've had an MRI scan, and whilst it isnt' painful it was uncomfortable.
    Stuck in a tube and having to lie there without moving, and only enough space to breath.... Not very nice...

Comment

Do you remember that scene in x-men II when magneto escapes from his plastic prison by extracting the iron from the security guard? Well.... I don't want to raise panic or alarm but...
      Last edited by scooterscot; 13 September 2007, 13:46.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

II spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.
        This could explain the ginger hair. Maybe it's gone rusty...

IGMC
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I've had many a brain MRI scan as an unwilling subject of Mrs. OG's evil neuroscience experiments. It's absolutely fine but a bit claustrophobic and noisy - you'll get earplugs.

Any metal in your body is a big problem, generally:

implants, pacemakers, plates
          piercings (they need to be removed)
          Shrapnel and other fragments - maybe you need the x-ray, it is very carefully controlled

You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Do you remember that scene in x-men II when magneto escapes from his plastic prison by extracting the iron from the security guard? Well.... this will not happen to you.
            Best stay of the Guinness then.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

at least afterward you'll have a new party trick...put a lightbulb in your mouth and amaze your friends when it lights up !!!
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

yes I've had one done, I had a disc removed from my lower back. Lying in the tube is a bit of a drag. takes about 20min IIRC.

yes metal is an issue, and they get you to get changed out of your cloathes into a gown, try not to take your CC there, my father had the same thing, and the machine wiped all the cc !!
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

I've had two, one before and one after surgery for two slipped disks in the neck. ( I thought it was just shoulder pain, but when my left arm got paralysed and my fingers went numb, I was a little alarmed. Oh, and it started to hurt a lot ).

First one, I was on morphine and feeling very pukey. If I'd not had a panic button to press, I'd have panicked.

Second one, a year after surgery, was much more relaxed. You have to change into a hospital gown, then just lie there for 15-20 minutes listening to wierd clicks and thumps. I could just see out of the bottom of my eye the outside world, so claustrophobia wasn't an issue.

Nothing to worry about.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

According to "House", prison tattoos can, owing to metallic particles in the ink used, lead to excruciating pain, when the particles are drawn through the skin, like bizillions of little razors. Just a thought.

[EDIT] Razor analogy is wrong. The metal oxide particles can heat-up and burn... rare, though.
                    Last edited by DBA_bloke; 13 September 2007, 15:10.

Comment

Working...
                    X