Credit crunch on business starts Credit crunch on business starts
Posts 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    System Manager

    Sysman is a permanent contractor

    Sysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,770

    Default Credit crunch on business starts

    WHat I predicted here seems to be starting.

    The banks' debts are your problem

    "Last week, an old friend who runs one of the few manufacturing businesses in north London told me about an unpleasant ultimatum from his bank.

    He has about £500,000 of customers' credit-card orders outstanding at any one time. Now he has been told that he must pay £500,000 into an account where the credit-card company can see it, or write a personal guarantee for £500,000, or stop taking payment by credit card.

    As nine in 10 of his customers pay by credit card - and might shop elsewhere if asked for cash - my friend is now considering laying off staff."

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    NoddY has no reputation

    NoddY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ballygobackwards
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Which leads to unemployment. And so it goes on.

  3. #3

    Banned

    King Cnvt has no reputation

    King Cnvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    829

    Default

    But house prices will still go up.

  4. #4

    Still gathering requirements...

    Dean has no reputation

    Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sysman View Post
    "Last week, an old friend who runs one of the few manufacturing businesses in north London told me about an unpleasant ultimatum from his bank.

    He has about £500,000 of customers' credit-card orders outstanding at any one time. Now he has been told that he must pay £500,000 into an account where the credit-card company can see it, or write a personal guarantee for £500,000, or stop taking payment by credit card.

    As nine in 10 of his customers pay by credit card - and might shop elsewhere if asked for cash - my friend is now considering laying off staff."
    Of course, this is a friend of the journalist so the journalist has, no doubt, fully investigated the reasons for the bank taking this step, such as incidences of credit card fraud, cashflow problems or lack of collateral, etc. before writing up the story.

    FWIW, I think you're right in the other posting you've referenced but stories such as this Telegraph piece are not worth very much without further information. I read a piece in the Grauniad about how the banks were artificially keeping the mortgage market afloat in order to prevent a recession and that house prices would tumble in about 6 months when they couldn't prevent it any longer - and that was about 5 years ago now.

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding

    chubba has no reputation

    chubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sitting on your chair
    Posts
    257

    Default

    The best thing is that all this leads to uncertainty and will stop people buying houses in the hope that prices will drop or those close to the line will not be able to get a mortgage. BTL'ers who are close to the line may go under or put houses on the market, likewise those who took on low fixed rate mortgages and have now got into difficulty with the rate rises. Was it something like 400,000 odd fixed rate loans to hit base rate before the end of the year? I can kind of see the pack of cards wobbling, not sure if will tip yet but have been saying houses can't keep going up like this for 5 years or so! Have sold here and going into rented, not due to markets looking wobbly, just can't get a house where we want, so a crash now would be really nice...

    Just seen Northern Rock has asked BOE for assistance too, this could knock shares tomorrow.

  6. #6

    System Manager

    Sysman is a permanent contractor

    Sysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Of course, this is a friend of the journalist so the journalist has, no doubt, fully investigated the reasons for the bank taking this step, such as incidences of credit card fraud, cashflow problems or lack of collateral, etc. before writing up the story.
    You have a valid point, but I remember so many similar stories the last time around, that it rings true to me.

    Very few of those stories got as far as the press. You had to be working in the small business community and keeping your ears and eyes open to learn what was really happening.

  7. #7

    System Manager

    Sysman is a permanent contractor

    Sysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,770

  8. #8

    What a muppet!

    Gonzo is a permanent contractor

    Gonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the future.
    Posts
    5,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sysman View Post
    You have a valid point, but I remember so many similar stories the last time around, that it rings true to me.

    Very few of those stories got as far as the press. You had to be working in the small business community and keeping your ears and eyes open to learn what was really happening.
    Indeed. In 1994 I was working for a small software company (basically it was a one person operation and I was helping out as a junior programmer). The bloke running it had a £30,000 overdraft facility (secured against his house) and was using nearly £20,000 of that. Then one day his bank wrote to him and told him that they were reducing his overdraft facility to £20,000. He knew better than to try and run the business with no working capital so he packed up and went back to contracting.

    So I was out of work, although I might argue that I was spared a career as a code monkey

    These are the stories that don't make the press but ripple throughout the small business community which ultimately props us all up even if we are working for the big boys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •