• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

premie or contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

premie or contract

What would you do if you were offered a permie job that would offer more cash than you could shake a stick at?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

take it .......oh actually no don't take it......hmmm no actually take it

oh i'm not good at making decisions.
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Well d@m it neither am i...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        What would you do if you were offered a permie job that would offer more cash than you could shake a stick at?
        All else being acceptable, like the location, the work, etc, I'd be an idiot not to take it!

Bollocks to all this "being in business" - it's the money that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
          All else being acceptable, like the location, the work, etc, I'd be an idiot not to take it!

Bollocks to all this "being in business" - it's the money that counts.
          What she / he said
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Spending the weekend thinking about it...

Comment

Gracefully turn it down. If there paying very very well, it will mean they think they own you. If the permie rate is £100,000 a year, then you should be charging as a contractor £100 an hour, according to the usual rule of thumb. That's £170,000 gross.

I was recently offered a permie job with my current client. The salary was very good, and it is a nice place to work. But what really made me reject it was the fact that I wouldn't be able to take 12 weeks holiday a year.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Gracefully turn it down. If there paying very very well, it will mean they think they own you. If the permie rate is £100,000 a year, then you should be charging as a contractor £100 an hour, according to the usual rule of thumb. That's £170,000 gross.

I was recently offered a permie job with my current client. The salary was very good, and it is a nice place to work. But what really made me reject it was the fact that I wouldn't be able to take 12 weeks holiday a year.
                My last permie job had 20 days leave per year, and you had to take three between Christmas and New Year. Job was OK, location was great, pay reasonable, but the holiday was the crunch that sent me contracting.

Depends on what they are offering as a package - money isn't everything, it's a lifestyle choice. I work away most of the time, but only work 9 months a year and spend the rest with my family. I'd rather do that than have little or no holiday but more money.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Yeah well this one is 5 times the permie rate you mentioned, plus a litte more.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Yeah well this one is 5 times the permie rate you mentioned, plus a litte more.
                    TAKE IT!!!

PS Want someone to carry your bags?
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X