• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oops, your house is now my house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, your house is now my house

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7079494.stm

The Land Registry is to remove online versions of scanned mortgage deeds and leases amid concerns that fraudsters have been accessing the documents.
    The Land Register Online site, set up in 2005, will be changed from midnight on Monday to ensure the scanned documents are no longer available.

People who want access to the documents will instead have to apply in writing.

It follows fears over criminals using the site to get property ownership transferred into their names.

The MP for Hitchen and Harpenden said his constituent had rented out a property, and within days the tenant had used the website to download the deeds and get the owner's signature.

He then used them to forge a power of attorney and transfer the ownership of the property into his name, before taking out a mortgage for £140,000 and disappearing, said Mr Lilley.

It was only when the new tenants moved in and the bailiffs came round to repossess the house that his constituent realised there was a problem.

Another stunningly thought through public sector websh|te.

Hello is that the police...I would like to report that my house has been stolen.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I used their website once to get a copy of the original deeds, and some more information.

Of the three documents I bought, I already had one, one was illegible, and one was for the wrong house.

But they did give me my money back.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Strange but true. That ordinary people find some utility from that website is by accident, not design.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Strange but true. That ordinary people find some utility from that website is by accident, not design.
          What do you mean by ""?

Is that website merely another cunning plan to take over the world?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            [url]Another stunningly thought through public sector websh|te.
            It's a really useful website if you wheel and deal with houses. You wouldn't normally sign your deeds !? The signature could of been obtained from many places. The real problem is surely with the procedure in place to check the Land Transfer document ( and the mortgage application ) not the website.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              It's a really useful website if you wheel and deal with houses. You wouldn't normally sign your deeds !? The signature could of been obtained from many places. The real problem is surely with the procedure in place to check the Land Transfer document ( and the mortgage application ) not the website.
              could've or could have
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                could've or could have
                You are correct. Have an orange ! I'm getting back to semi decent english language standards at my current posting levels, I might even reach the standard I achieved aged 11 if I keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  You are correct. Have an orange ! I'm getting back to semi decent english language standards at my current posting levels, I might even reach the standard I achieved aged 11 if I keep it up.
                  semi-decent
                  English

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    semi-decent
                    English

HTH
                    Getting better all the time. Are both of those corrections compulsory ?

MS Word doesn't correct semi decent.
                    Last edited by rootsnall; 6 November 2007, 11:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X