• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In memory of those who gave

My father fought in WWII, and both my grandfathers in WWI. Fortunately they all survived, but many thousands didn't. So I think we should all spare a thought for those that gave their lives, and for all the families affected by their losses.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

'FOR YOUR TOMORROW WE GAVE OUR TODAY'

Comment

Even though I don't wear poppies, I am grateful to those who helped defend this country since otherwise I'd have to find some other home and I am not sure I would have found something better.

Comment

Here here Moose.

Comment

I fought in three world wars for you lot. Please send money.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
            My father fought in WWII, and both my grandfathers in WWI. Fortunately they all survived, but many thousands didn't. So I think we should all spare a thought for those that gave their lives, and for all the families affected by their losses.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
            At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
            WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

'FOR YOUR TOMORROW WE GAVE OUR TODAY'
            Well said, that man! We all observed the two minute silence at 11:00.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Quite right. As one who has received the Queens shilling and lost friends I was at the Cenotaph this morning proudly wearing my medals (1 UK, 2 foreign) and with a tear in my eye.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
              At the going down of the sun and in the morning
              We will remember them."
              Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

I attended a remembrance parade this morning for the first time in 20 years.
                When you think about what a lot of these guys went through in the two wars it kind of puts into perspective ones whinges about the daily grind in IT. Has anyone ever been killed or wounded by a computer?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  I attended a remembrance parade this morning for the first time in 20 years.
                  When you think about what a lot of these guys went through in the two wars it kind of puts into perspective ones whinges about the daily grind in IT. Has anyone ever been killed or wounded by a computer?
                  Not killed, but quite badly wounded. Trying to get a board into a Compaq and hampered by what looked like a strip of metal, tugged away at it like mad and levered it with a screwdriver and cut my finger almost to the bone. It turned out to be a razor-sharp moulded sheet that lined the slots inside at the back.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I don't think he was asking if a computer had killed anyone here. In modern wars computers kill most people, except when the humans are stupid enough to invade on foot. Warfare is getting a bit impersonal, unlike the good old days.

Comment

Working...
                    X