• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wrong Time to be a diabetic...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Very true, my son is type 1, we are lucky he has always known when a hypo is coming so can act to sort it however even with the best control this is not always the case for everyone, and some people can pass out or worse appear drunk quite quickly.

Type 2 is lifestyle diabetes brought on by a poor diet, high cholesterol/blood pressure, pretty easy to control with tablets but like SueEllen says its surprising the amount of people who don't take this seriously.

poor blood sugar control can lead to blindness and losing limbs especially feet this applies to type 1 and type 2
    Yep Gary was unlucky most of the time he was in charge sometimes but occasionally it just caught him unaware. Very scary.

Possibly someone has been misleading you. Type 2 has genetic, health & lifestyle causes.

Lets ask the experts.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Preventi...-risk-factors/

Causes of Type 2 Diabetes - Risks, Genetics, Medications & Stress

And of course high blood pressure frequently has no explanation
    High blood pressure (hypertension) Causes - Mayo Clinic

of course if you have an inherited genetic condition that brings on the blood pressure, take the statins etc and end up with type 2 diabetes its all your fault.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      Very true, my son is type 1, we are lucky he has always known when a hypo is coming so can act to sort it however even with the best control this is not always the case for everyone, and some people can pass out or worse appear drunk quite quickly.

Type 2 is lifestyle diabetes brought on by a poor diet, high cholesterol/blood pressure, pretty easy to control with tablets but like SueEllen says its surprising the amount of people who don't take this seriously.

poor blood sugar control can lead to blindness and losing limbs especially feet this applies to type 1 and type 2
      Not all type 2 diabetes is due to lifestyle factors.

Some people have a genetic predisposition to it regardless of their weight and exercise level.

This means just like you hear of the families where generations have had heart attacks at 30-45 so some members take preventative measures and then get them later on e.g. 50-60, there are families where everyone eventually gets type 2 diabetes.

Unfortunately due to modem lifestyles it is now hard to make the distinction.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Possibly I'm being a little pious. I will concede you can frequently make your symptoms better by getting fit and avoiding the junk.

That's why I parp like a good un (lentils for lunch again) & go to the Gym 3 + times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Possibly I'm being a little pious. I will concede you can frequently make your symptoms better by getting fit and avoiding the junk.

That's why I parp like a good un (lentils for lunch again) & go to the Gym 3 + times a week.
          Actually some people have managed to reverse their diabetes by ignoring all the diet advice given by the NHS e.g. going for a low carb high fat diet rather than a recommended high carb low fat.

Though it's likely easier to take such dietary measures if you are 50 then if you are 80.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Actually some people have managed to reverse their diabetes by ignoring all the diet advice given by the NHS e.g. going for a low carb high fat diet rather than a recommended high carb low fat.

Though it's likely easier to take such dietary measures if you are 50 then if you are 80.
            My doctor is pushing me to low carb. Its a challenge no weight loss but nothing wobbles any more thanks to the Gym.

Comment

My doctor is pushing me to low carb. Its a challenge no weight loss but nothing wobbles any more thanks to the Gym.
              Seems like you have a GP who has been reading the research and/or looking on diabetes UK.

Btw your GP loses part of their budget if you get healthier.

Comment

Yep Gary was unlucky most of the time he was in charge sometimes but occasionally it just caught him unaware. Very scary.

Possibly someone has been misleading you. Type 2 has genetic, health & lifestyle causes.

Lets ask the experts.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Preventi...-risk-factors/

Causes of Type 2 Diabetes - Risks, Genetics, Medications & Stress

And of course high blood pressure frequently has no explanation
                High blood pressure (hypertension) Causes - Mayo Clinic

of course if you have an inherited genetic condition that brings on the blood pressure, take the statins etc and end up with type 2 diabetes its all your fault.
                MF contracted his from the toilet seat in the first class lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  he shouldn't have sucked it then!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    You are what you eat so if you eat crap...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You are what you eat so if you eat crap...
                      Then I am a vagina.

Comment

Working...
                      X