• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data centre looted in multimillion pound overnight heist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What frame? In my servers memory chips just slot in just fine without frames (I think). The whole idea of hand crafting sounds a bit alien when talking about things made in mass manufacture.
    I agree - it sounds very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I agree - it sounds very odd.
      If thiefs nicked just memory then people in data center should consider themselves lucky - getting clients data would have been far more serious because damages are less quantifiable so those who lost the data are likely to go for a very high figure that is hard to verify.

Comment

If thiefs nicked just memory then people in data center should consider themselves lucky - getting clients data would have been far more serious because damages are less quantifiable so those who lost the data are likely to go for a very high figure that is hard to verify.
        The sort of data a large IB has would only be useful to another IB - and they would not touch anything illegal.

Comment

The sort of data a large IB has would only be useful to another IB - and they would not touch anything illegal.
          Well, if some big e-commerce site hosted there, do you think they would not use database in this "secure" data center to keep credit card numbers, addresses etc?

Comment

Well, if some big e-commerce site hosted there, do you think they would not use database in this "secure" data center to keep credit card numbers, addresses etc?
            I can assure you that it was not an e-commerce site. Just an IB was it.

I reckon when the thieves find out that whatever was taken is worthless, then the informer will be in big trouble.

Comment

I can assure you that it was not an e-commerce site. Just an IB was it.
              Information about clients and amounts they deal with is worth a lot to certain people.

The last kind of fake-police raid that I heard about in this country was when those guys stole 50 mln quid, this kind of thing is pretty difficult to plan and execute, so I would really be suprised of thiefs did not take hard disks - if they did then this all definately about data, but if they only took RAM chips then it probably not.

Comment

Information about clients and amounts they deal with is worth a lot to certain people
                Only an IB/hedge fund would be interested in the positions of another IB. Traders are crooks but they are white collar criminals. Which is rarely caught and seldom convicted (except in the USA). No trader would get involved in anything blue collar.

The kit costs alot to buy but will be hard to fence.

Comment

There are bigger people who would love to have this kind of data.

Comment

There are bigger people who would love to have this kind of data.
                    such as? how would they use it?

Comment

such as? how would they use it?
                      You don't need to know this

Comment

Working...
                      X