• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are white working class people ignored in Britain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear! This is going to make cringeworthy viewing.

A poll by the BBC's Newsnight programme to discover the views of the white working class has found that more than half think nobody speaks out for people like them. Do you agree?

The poll was in response to BBC Two’s 'White season', which explores issues concerning the white working class in 21st century Britain.

The survey also suggests that compared to the white middle class, more of the white working class are pessimistic about their future and think crime has got worse. It also suggests that a higher proportion of them are finding it difficult to afford housing and believe that Britain has generally got worse over the last 10 years.

On immigration, more white working class people questioned in the survey thought it was a bad thing, compared to other social classes. On the issue of new immigrants taking their jobs, 27% of those surveyed said immigrants had put their jobs at risk, compared to 13% of the middle class.

Would you describe yourself as British white working class? What issues are of most concern to you? Do you think your voice is heard in Britain? Do you have a personal experience to share?

The poll results will form part of a special edition of Newsnight to be broadcast on BBC Two at 10:30pm on Thursday 6th March.

BBC 2's White Season kicks off on Friday 7th March at 9pm with Last Orders.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Yes! all true
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Yes. Next.
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

most people are ignored in Britain. I blame everyone who votes Labour or Tory.

Comment

I have no choice other than to ignore them. Whenever they show joe public on the BBC news I always wish that they had subtitles because they invariably sound as though they are chewing bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Masher View Post
            I have no choice other than to ignore them. Whenever they show joe public on the BBC news I always wish that they had subtitles because they invariably sound as though they are chewing bricks.
            Classist!!!
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
              Classist!!!
              Are you talking to us or chewing a brick.
              Either way you're going to lose a few teeth.

Couldn't resist
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Is there anything admirable about working class "culture", white or otherwise?
                Seems to me that if your aspirations are merely to follow your dad into the same occupation, regardless of whether you're good at it or not, and get pissed down the boozer every day, you'll get what you deserve.

sg in <<better duck and hide mode>>
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Oh Dear! This is going to make cringeworthy viewing.
                  The Chav Your Say on the BBC news site on this very topic is definitely cringeworthy reading

I was born and bread in Northamptonshire. I feel that Northampton as a town has very seriously and dramatically gone down hill very quickly. I am from a middle class back ground and would consider my self working class. Its not a simple case of my voice not being heard but a lack of trust in our current government being responsible for OUR needs. This country was made Great for taking care our citizens first and above any body else.

Tim Haines, Northampton

Recommended by 1 person
                  Obviously Tim is far too cool to be considered middle class

No, this country was made great by the slave trade and treating the working class like crap and working them half to death.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Sorry, did you just say something then?

Comment

Working...
                    X