What's it like up north anyway? What's it like up north anyway?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Default What's it like up north anyway?

Just occurred to me that with all this North vs. London debating going on I don't really know what it's like up there.

So what is it like?
    Woker than you - but not as woke as I'd like to be.

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Lots of nice people.

Lots of chavs.

Lots of people with chips on their shoulder about where they come from.

Just like the south really, but statistically wetter.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Godlike

threaded is good enough for Jehovah!

This morning it was a bit nippy out, but on Sunday the weather forecasters say it will be slightly warmer.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Super poster

lilelvis2000 is a permanent contractor

The airports are all working just fine.

Lord of Ruin

Diver is NOT a disguised employee

A lot like the south really.

So I'll stay in Wales where it's much nicer
    Confusion is a natural state of being

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

It's grim...allegedly...

Godlike

Peoplesoft bloke is a permanent contractor

I wouldn't bother - you probably won't like it.

Godlike

chef is a permanent contractor

I like it.

The city (in my case Manchester) has everything I need 24hrs a day and lots of choice, bars restaurants museums etc. i live 15-20mins drive or 30 mins bus out of the centre and the area i live has a very village feel to it (closest ive seen in London is Greenwich) so I dont feel like life is busy city hectic but its close enough to get to if I want.

There's the penine's 30 mins drive away, the lake district about 1hr away and north wales about 90 mins away so getting out of "city life" is easy.

To me the people seem to be the major difference between north and south. There's much more of a local or community (if thats the best word to describe it) feel even when in the city, it doesnt feel like you live your life in a bubble containing you and those with you. Both good and bad i know but people talk to each other, even if they've never met, taxi drivers talk to you, nutters talk to you on the bus, it doesnt feel like your invisible and just another statistic in the rat race.

EDIT: It doesnt feel like everyone in the bar/restaurant/shop your in are competing with each other for whatever reason, people seem more at ease just being who they are and not worrying about trying to impress.

Thats only based on visiting london for business purposes, im sure living there is very different.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Apparently one cannot even get wholmeal pasta up there - and some cafes dont even do a latte.

Godlike

Peoplesoft bloke is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I like it.

The city (in my case Manchester) has everything I need 24hrs a day and lots of choice, bars restaurants museums etc. i live 15-20mins drive or 30 mins bus out of the centre and the area i live has a very village feel to it (closest ive seen in London is Greenwich) so I dont feel like life is busy city hectic but its close enough to get to if I want.

There's the penine's 30 mins drive away, the lake district about 1hr away and north wales about 90 mins away so getting out of "city life" is easy.

To me the people seem to be the major difference between north and south. There's much more of a local or community (if thats the best word to describe it) feel even when in the city, it doesnt feel like you live your life in a bubble containing you and those with you. Both good and bad i know but people talk to each other, even if they've never met, taxi drivers talk to you, nutters talk to you on the bus, it doesnt feel like your invisible and just another statistic in the rat race.

Thats only based on visitign london for business purposes, im sure living there is very different.
    Ssssssh don't spoil it!