• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service - Has it affected you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marina View Post
    I'd be happy to requested, but would refuse on principle to take part in any trial where the jury included either a judge or a barrister (which Labour have recently changed the rules to allow).
    How do you know? Unless you ask everyone at the start of the week that you are chosen about what they do, then remember it, get picked for the trial group, then get picked for the jury, it's pretty difficult.

I'm not convinced that you can refuse to do it, though - if they ask for a reason just say that if he was innocent then the police wouldn't have arrested him so let's send him down now. That should do it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      I take it you've seen "12 Angry men" then.
      I saw it in Edinburgh during the Fringe about 5 years back. Fantastic production - most of the cast were comedians playing straight roles (e.g Bill Bailey and Jeff Green) and were very, very good.

It also features in my top 5 films of all time.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

What was said earlier is true. You can get out of serving once for almost any reason, but you will be called again within 12 months or so and then nothing short of the death of a partner or parent (or yourself, obviously) will get you out of it. In the booklet they send you it even says that "my employer/business cannot spare me" will not be accepted as a reason for being excused.

Basically if you can do it when called the first time, best to do so, at least you have some control.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'm not convinced that you can refuse to do it, though - if they ask for a reason just say that if he was innocent then the police wouldn't have arrested him so let's send him down now. That should do it.
          Friend of my mother's got called to some lengthy trial and got excused by saying she was a racist and therefore would not be impartial in any cases involving ethnic minorities. It wasn't true, but she was desperate not to serve on a lengthy case. The judge even thanked her for her honesty in being frank about such a sensitive matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
            Friend of my mother's got called to some lengthy trial and got excused by saying she was a racist and therefore would not be impartial in any cases involving ethnic minorities. It wasn't true, but she was desperate not to serve on a lengthy case. The judge even thanked her for her honesty in being frank about such a sensitive matter.
            Hey that's a good idea, especially as statistically most of the court cases will likely contain an ethnic victim element to it, there's a good chance you'll get out of it. However, will you not be charged by Zanu liebour hate crime?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=467
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Basically in economic terms it makes no sense for us to do Jury service as we stand to lose substantial cash if 2 weeks is taken. Unlike permies who get reimbursed. So how to legitimately escape, as they have tightened the rules in recent years.

The Racist ploy was interesting. Certainly a blunt way of getting out of it, but she still had to turn up and tell the judge. If you were on a remote project, it's still a wasted day. For me a doctors sick note would be the way. Go to a walk in surgery, pay the £60, walk out with a get out of Jury service card that could be worth £5k or more!

Comment

PCG Plus comes with insurance for jury service. Quite a low rate though, IIRC.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  PCG Plus comes with insurance for jury service. Quite a low rate though, IIRC.
                  £300/day IIRC.

Comment

Surely by this stage she'd have already had a few days of hanging around waiting to be assigned to a case?

This ploy depends on knowing what the case is - no point in saying that at the outset as they could assign you to a long boring fraud case or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                      Basically in economic terms it makes no sense for us to do Jury service as we stand to lose substantial cash if 2 weeks is taken. Unlike permies who get reimbursed. So how to legitimately escape, as they have tightened the rules in recent years.

The Racist ploy was interesting. Certainly a blunt way of getting out of it, but she still had to turn up and tell the judge. If you were on a remote project, it's still a wasted day. For me a doctors sick note would be the way. Go to a walk in surgery, pay the £60, walk out with a get out of Jury service card that could be worth £5k or more!
                      Tsk, tsk, as the accompanying blurb says it is one of the most important duties a citizen can be asked to perform and it is your responsibility and duty to carry it out as one who enjoys this country's freedoms.

As to permies being reimbursed, employers are under no legal obligation to pay staff called for jury service and many don't. In fact, they are not even obliged to keep your job open if it's a long case and are quite entitled to fire staff called to lengthy trials. Shocking, but true.

Comment

Working...
                      X