• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service - Has it affected you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service - Has it affected you

Would like to gauge how often this would be likely to come up during a period of say 20 years.
    1. Who's been stung by this, for how many days/weeks and did you lose money due to it
    2. Who managed to get out of it. What excuses/valid reasons did you use.
    3. Anyone got jury service insurance that paid out

I know it's a civic duty etc, so please no 'why ask this....blah etc'. Just want to know some raw facts and figures.

Not yet

Comment

Twice in about 5 years, but both times was when I was still a permie. Still, one of them meant that I missed out on a training course.

Comment

I was called once while moving house. I did not tell them where I was going to.

Comment

Not been hit upon yet.

I think I read elsewhere from people with experience of the call-up is that they always over-subscribe as they expect issues with some candidates, and the advice I heard is you can just not bother turning up if they've not been able to establish confirmation you're going.

Obviously I recommend anyone investigates further, wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone getting banged up for following my advice!
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            I know it's a civic duty etc, so please no 'why ask this....blah etc'. Just want to know some raw facts and figures.
            23 years of work never called - hope I never am.

As for civic duty, my due consideration of the facts and desire to give everyone a fair go would be severely coloured by the thought of all the lawyers judges and court staff getting paid a fortune to waste my time I'm afraid (sorry I know you didn't want comment but I suspect we feel the same about this - it's a scandal we don't get properly reimbursed)

Comment

Got out of it as "Essential To Operations"

I wanted to serve too
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Got out of it as "Essential To Operations"

I wanted to serve too
                How does that work? presumably you need to be a permie?

Comment

Back in the early nineties was called up to the Old Bailey. Suspect it was for the Guiness trial. Was a permie then and my boss wrote a letter saying I could not be spared. My belief (but I'm not sure about this) is that you can be excused once on exceptional grounds, but have to attend if you are called again.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    How does that work? presumably you need to be a permie?
                    I wasn't in IT then. (or at the moment come to think of it )
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X