• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an alcoholic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you done the AA thing Jog on? I know it isn't for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I’ve got better recently but I have a complicated situation. My other half is a dry alcoholic who hasn’t touched a drop for over 10 years now. She’s very conscious of when I do drink and how much to the point where she puts a lot of pressure on me not to which makes me do it more.

When faced with all the pressure not to I tend to have large binges although lately I just haven’t been that into it out of my choice and not hers. I have drunk huge amounts and had blackouts and shakes etc, kind of drinking like a student.

I’ve mellowed a lot lately which I feel better for and it has made things at home a lot better as well. Cutting back because I just don’t feel like getting hammered instead of her tugging on my arm saying ‘don’t you think you’ve had enough now?’ is much better.

I have had CBT counselling for this and am considering it again. I do think about it a lot but I think if my relationship situation were different I wouldn’t as much.

I quite enjoy being sober now and I seem to have developed a stopping point as well, it’s not fun being too drunk, falling about the place and talking rubbish, not at the time or the next morning. I’ve managed to take that on board and remind myself of it when I’m drinking.

I can’t remember the last time I got ‘steaming’ drunk – which makes a change!
      I hope to <Insert Deity> that you're joking about your other half and the pressure.

FFS, get rid. It won't stop there!

Comment

I find I drink a lot more when I'm contracting away from home, especially if there are also other fellow contractors around in a similar position.

Worst example was when I was staying in a b&b in a small village. Nothing much else there apart from the pub opposite, so me and another contractor would invariably end up in the pub most nights. Good food and fit barmaids made it a very pleasant environment to get drunk in.

Otherwise I only drink socially, such as when at friends for a meal or out at the weekend. Rarely have a drink at home if alone as I see that as the start of a slippery slope.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Someone who drinks every night at home, that's my definition of an alcoholic

I admit to a bit of binge drinking myself, several pints and several whiskey chasers on a Friday night,and not usually in the pub before 9:45
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 April 2008, 15:49.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I find I drink a lot more when I'm contracting away from home, especially if there are also other fellow contractors around in a similar position.
            Definitely true - Banks Mansion hotel in Amsterdam is the worst for this - free bar downstairs & decanters + free mixers in the room. It's just a recipe for disaster...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
              My dad made his own wine growing up, so I see drinking as very much the norm...

My dad used to make his own 'something' in demi-jons. Could never tell if it was supposed to be wine or beer! Certainly put me off boozing till I left school, so not all bad.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Someone who drinks every night at home, that's my definition of an alcoholic
                Do you even think about what you say?

What you've desribed could be someone drinking one glass of wine every night.

What you've described is also the complete opposite of binge drinking..which is a good thing surely!
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  Are you worried that you are?

It's not really about how much you drink, it's why - to suppress feelings etc and it's also about how much of a personality change you have when you do, and if you think about it lots.
                  No, not at all. As for reasoning, I enjoy drinking wine and am interested in different types and tastes, my Grandad who passed away recently had a vineyard in the Mediterranean that the family now own and I grew up learning about wine making. The thread title was an afterthought, I was just curious as to what people's habits were. I often have periods where I stop for a week or longer should I feel the need, not to mention that research shows a glass or two of red a day is better for you than not drinking at all (I only drink red), maybe you should take it up for health reasons?

Comment

What you've described is also the complete opposite of binge drinking..which is a good thing surely!
                    However the implication of someone drinking every day is that they cannot get through the day without it. This dependence and use of alcohol as a crutch is definitely a pointer towards alcoholism imho.

Comment

Someone who drinks every day has an alcohol problem, most people drink socially or to watch sport and don't need a drink every night.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X