• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an alcoholic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you an alcoholic?

What're the drinking patterns of people on CUK, do you drink every night, occasionally or limit yourself to weekends only? Also how much do you generally drink? It's an open question so I'm not going to bother with a poll.

I drink relatively frequently, but limit myself when I start to feel too groggy after too many nights in a row, I've yet to master having just one or two glasses of wine and generally finish the bottle once opened.

You don't live in Altrincham or Sale by any chance do you?

Comment

In general I'm not a big drinker, not compared to my uni days that's for sure.

Would probably be categorised as a binge drinker, since these days that means more than 2 pints at once...

My weakness is the odd Cuba Libre made with Bacardi 8yr or Havana Club Anejo Especial with lashings and lashings of lime
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        In general I'm not a big drinker, not compared to my uni days that's for sure.

Would probably be categorised as a binge drinker, since these days that means more than 2 pints at once...

My weakness is the odd Cuba Libre made with Bacardi 8yr or Havana Club Anejo Especial with lashings and lashings of lime
        Sod the lime, give me more rum!

Does that answer the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
          What're the drinking patterns of people on CUK, do you drink every night, occasionally or limit yourself to weekends only? Also how much do you generally drink? It's an open question so I'm not going to bother with a poll.

I drink relatively frequently, but limit myself when I start to feel too groggy after too many nights in a row, I've yet to master having just one or two glasses of wine and generally finish the bottle once opened.
          Are you worried that you are?

It's not really about how much you drink, it's why - to suppress feelings etc and it's also about how much of a personality change you have when you do, and if you think about it lots.

Comment

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.
            J

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
              Are you worried that you are?

It's not really about how much you drink, it's why - to suppress feelings etc and it's also about how much of a personality change you have when you do, and if you think about it lots.
              Bollux.
              HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I used to drink nearly every night, generally by myself. Then I made an effort to have orange juice instead of whisky, and cut down significantly. Except I think I'm now addicted to orange juice.

I'd miss it if I gave up, and it's very rare I can limit myself to one drink if I start, so I guess that makes me an alcoholic to some extent.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I’ve got better recently but I have a complicated situation. My other half is a dry alcoholic who hasn’t touched a drop for over 10 years now. She’s very conscious of when I do drink and how much to the point where she puts a lot of pressure on me not to which makes me do it more.

When faced with all the pressure not to I tend to have large binges although lately I just haven’t been that into it out of my choice and not hers. I have drunk huge amounts and had blackouts and shakes etc, kind of drinking like a student.

I’ve mellowed a lot lately which I feel better for and it has made things at home a lot better as well. Cutting back because I just don’t feel like getting hammered instead of her tugging on my arm saying ‘don’t you think you’ve had enough now?’ is much better.

I have had CBT counselling for this and am considering it again. I do think about it a lot but I think if my relationship situation were different I wouldn’t as much.

I quite enjoy being sober now and I seem to have developed a stopping point as well, it’s not fun being too drunk, falling about the place and talking rubbish, not at the time or the next morning. I’ve managed to take that on board and remind myself of it when I’m drinking.

I can’t remember the last time I got ‘steaming’ drunk – which makes a change!
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I can have one glass of wine and leave it.
                    I can also have about 7 bottles of wine between 2 and end up dancing in the kitchen.

I can stay in all week and not even think about it.
                    But if I had to stay all week, plus Friday AND Saturday I'd start itching...and not in a sexy way. I'd probably be quite ratty too, and a bit sorry for myself. Infact I'm getting a bit stressed out now just thinking about it!! I seriously might have to drag my lad out tonight now...I dont know what's come over me!! I feel quite claustraphobic

<breathe>

My dad made his own wine growing up, so I see drinking as very much the norm...although I dont do it all the time anymore, cause of the new slim-line me
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X