• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F*ing Church Bells

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that there is something soothing about the sound of church bells resonating across the village green on a balmy summer's day, as the last wickets fall to the victorious team and the farmers settle down on the benches outside the Rose and Crown to sup their light ale.

Church bells always evoke the same image for me, of a gentler, less frenetic age, now lost forever by the march of progress ; whatever that means.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I once had the great good fortune to live in a place where, one Sunday evening, I left the house to the sound of the church bells over the road calling the faithful to Evensong, walked up the road to where I could hear the muezzin calling the faithful to prayer, and then waited at the bus stop listening to the chanting of the faithful from the Hindu temple.

It was nice to feel that the neighbourhood in which I lived was part of a wider, more diverse world of belief - although I'm not sure many of you on here will grasp what I mean, more's the pity

Around here it was - I lived on Vicarage Lane

Comment

I feel your pain Lucy..... I live not far from a church and six days a week you could hear a pin drop that is except on a Sunday at 10:13am on the dot every week. F**K ME I swear the bandit is trying to get the whole of Falkirk into that church!!!

On an odd occassion purely out of badness and to give all the oldies who go there (I've yet to see anyone there under 65)something to talk about I'll drive my big black Harley with straight through exhausts at maximum revs past the church

you can almost hear them say spawn of the devil.... I say alomst as you can't hear them over my bike

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Try living in Switzerland, the land of the bell fetish
          6am until 10pm on the hour. And ten minutes before each church service.

After a while I found I just filtered it out. I don't notice it anymore.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            Why?

We live opposite a church which gets about six parishioners on Sundays when they ring the flipping bells for about an hour. Then they ring them for three hours on a Wednesday night for 'practice' and now they are ringing them tonight?

FFS why???
            I've come to the conclusion that you cannot control the noise within your environment, I often hear my neighbours making noise and have one who often forgets to turn his alarm clock off on the weekend, always good for a hangover on a Sunday morning.

My solution was noise-cancelling ear plugs, now I sleep like a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
              My solution was noise-cancelling ear plugs, now I sleep like a baby.
              What, waking up crying every couple of hours?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                What, waking up crying every couple of hours?
                Needing a nappy change.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  Needing a nappy change.
                  Nah those are a result of butt plugs not ear plugs surely?

Comment

Nothing wrong with a quarter peel of various variations of doubles. 5! changes per five minutes or 6! of a major method for the full 50 minutes.

Good fun being an atheist who rings the bells. The dirty look from the vicar as you make your exit.

Comment

Working...
                    X