• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dentists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When we visited Hungary a few years ago, we had some emergency out of hours treatment for our other daughter. 10'000 Forint it cost. That's about £30. And it was all the very latest equipment.

It's not unknown that when root canal surgery or something similarly expensive is required, to fly to Budapest, have the treatment, stay in a nice hotel etc. It's cheaper.

I'm tempted to try that for some implants I'll probably be needing later in the year. It's the thought of aftercare and if something goes wrong that puts me off. Something I need to research a bit more before deciding.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

My wife had her eye laser surgery in Amsterdam. Both eyes, femtolasik, total cost €3500. And an excellent job. Here it would have cost twice that at least. Aftercare would only have been problematic if something had gone drastically wrong. But having saved a few thousand, you've got those spare to pay for remedy - flying back, or having treatment nearer home.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        My wife had her eye laser surgery in Amsterdam. Both eyes, femtolasik, total cost €3500. And an excellent job. Here it would have cost twice that at least. Aftercare would only have been problematic if something had gone drastically wrong. But having saved a few thousand, you've got those spare to pay for remedy - flying back, or having treatment nearer home.
        £2,802 doesn't seem particularly cheap though? For those that don't know, the femtosecond (AKA Intralase, all-laser LASIK) laser is used to create a thin flap in the cornea, as apposed to using a sugical blade, before LASIK treatment is applied on the exposed cornea.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          £2,802 doesn't seem particularly cheap though? For those that don't know, the femtosecond (AKA Intralase, all-laser LASIK) laser is used to create a thin flap in the cornea, as apposed to using a sugical blade, before LASIK treatment is applied on the exposed cornea.
          I'm going to carry on wearing specs......
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Eewwwww. I try to avoid anything that involves flaps.

Well, almost anything. Thin flaps are nicer...

IGMC
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

IGMC
              Probably best.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                I'm going to carry on wearing specs......
                LASIK is one of the two main techniques used for corneal reshaping. The surface techniques (now making a comeback) include PRK, LASEK, epi-LASIK, where just the surface of the cornea is zapped, while with LASIK reshaping is done underneath a very thin flap. Sometimes staying with specs is indeed the best option, especially if you are only mildly shortsighted since that will come in handy after the age of 40.

Comment

LASIK is one of the two main techniques used for corneal reshaping. The surface techniques (now making a comeback) include PRK, LASEK, epi-LASIK, where just the surface of the cornea is zapped, while with LASIK reshaping is done underneath a very thin flap. Sometimes staying with specs is indeed the best option, especially if you are only midly shortsighted since that will come in handy after the age of 40.
                  Oooooh.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

LASIK is one of the two main techniques used for corneal reshaping. The surface techniques (now making a comeback) include PRK, LASEK, epi-LASIK, where just the surface of the cornea is zapped, while with LASIK reshaping is done underneath a very thin flap. Sometimes staying with specs is indeed the best option, especially if you are only mildly shortsighted since that will come in handy after the age of 40.
                    Nah - blind as a bat without them but I am too scared to go down the Laser surgery route, my gut feeling is that it hasn't been around long enough to know if it really works, but thats just me - I am sure for some people it's the best thing they ever did.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      Oooooh.
                      Around 100 microns (0.1mm).

Comment

Working...
                      X