• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy ANZAC Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.
    We do, it's just it's on a Sunday.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The kiwis did a great job during the war - fought hard - unlike the RWC.

Comment

What a great example of someone trying to hard to be funny and failing.

It's was funny in my little world, the drugs have worn off now.
        Last edited by PAH; 25 April 2008, 18:34.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          RWC?
          Rugby World Cup

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            That's what Google said... but I didn't believe it...
            Hard to believe I know that google is as accurate as SKA but sometimes they do get it right.

Comment

Appreciate the sentiment tay, but not sure I would use the word 'happy'.

Comment

I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.
                It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).

Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Lions led by donkeys springs to mind ...There was a serious lack of professionalism in the British Army officer class for most of the 20th century. I suspect things are better now
                  Funny that, Gallipoli was our greatest leaders idea (At least he was held responsible). Old Winston that is.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).
                    Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.
                    Completely agree, Aus & NZ saw themselves as another part of the empire, 'where Britain goes we go' etc After the ANZAC losses this started to be questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post

I don't see Anzac day commemorations as any different to Remembrance Sunday - at least as it is observed in my household.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X