• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy ANZAC Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy ANZAC Day

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well"

Atta Turk

I'm going to hold out for Happy Prozac Day.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

A big salute to our Commonwealth colleagues and brothers in arms when we needed them most.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
        A big salute to our Commonwealth colleagues and brothers in arms when we needed them most.
        Are you being sarcy? If not...WHS
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Are you being sarcy? If not...WHS
            No totally serious. I admire the Aussies & Kiwi's for the help they gave us during wars (and also the other non-ANZAC's but also Commonwealth such as Canada & India). It seems that they sometimes got some of the roughest tasks too.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
              I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.
              I'm loath to ever admit that I would agree with you but in this case, I do.... it's bonkers.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                I'm going to hold out for Happy Prozac Day.
                What a great example of someone trying to hard to be funny and failing.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  "Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well"

Atta Turk
                  That is indeed a beautiful quote.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    No totally serious. I admire the Aussies & Kiwi's for the help they gave us during wars (and also the other non-ANZAC's but also Commonwealth such as Canada & India). It seems that they sometimes got some of the roughest tasks too.
                    Lions led by donkeys springs to mind ...There was a serious lack of professionalism in the British Army officer class for most of the 20th century. I suspect things are better now
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X