• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yahoo rebuild

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo rebuild

Sound v. interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7366674.stm

NickFitz may know the lowdown.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Sound v. interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7366674.stm

NickFitz may know the lowdown.
    Some of it

Internally it's known as the Yahoo! Operating System. The basic idea is to modularise all the different services that Y! provides as web services accessible via a consistent set of APIs that can be easily stuck together via HTTP.

So if, for example, you want a site that allows a user to sign up with an existing Y! account and be able to incorporate their flickr photos, their contacts from their Y! Mail address book, their avatar(s), content they've contributed to Y! Answers, their bookmarks from del.icio.us... etc. etc., it's very easy to do - on the back end you're basically using a bunch of HTTP calls to assorted services to bring all that stuff together to be presented in the front end.

There's a lot more to it than this in terms of the APIs that are (or will be) available, and of course there's a lot of infrastructure behind it including important stuff like intelligent caching, otherwise things could become rather slow

If you have a Y! account and you have, over the last few months, been asked to agree to a change in the terms of service to allow them to cache your registration info on a European server, rather than in the mainland US, that was because of a project I worked on which was using the CoreID API to its fullest extent, for the purpose of keeping users informed about their contacts: it was only once a dev team in Europe started using it in anger that the North Americans realised that having all those API calls going back and forth across the Atlantic was rather susceptible to the speed of light and network latency

You could already do most of this stuff via various mashup techniques, but the aim is for consistency across the whole Y! network, which was previously quite disparate in the way the different parts worked. It allows pretty cool stuff to get done a lot quicker.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 25 April 2008, 14:34.

Comment

Hmm, don't think I got that email. I did get sent a nice colour changing mug from Y! answers a while back tho.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Is there any chance they'll drop the "!" ?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          We can but hope.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            No, but Microsoft will become "Microsoft!"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Some of it

Internally it's known as the Yahoo! Operating System. The basic idea is to modularise all the different services that Y! provides as web services accessible via a consistent set of APIs that can be easily stuck together via HTTP.

So if, for example, you want a site that allows a user to sign up with an existing Y! account and be able to incorporate their flickr photos, their contacts from their Y! Mail address book, their avatar(s), content they've contributed to Y! Answers, their bookmarks from del.icio.us... etc. etc., it's very easy to do - on the back end you're basically using a bunch of HTTP calls to assorted services to bring all that stuff together to be presented in the front end.

There's a lot more to it than this in terms of the APIs that are (or will be) available, and of course there's a lot of infrastructure behind it including important stuff like intelligent caching, otherwise things could become rather slow

If you have a Y! account and you have, over the last few months, been asked to agree to a change in the terms of service to allow them to cache your registration info on a European server, rather than in the mainland US, that was because of a project I worked on which was using the CoreID API to its fullest extent, for the purpose of keeping users informed about their contacts: it was only once a dev team in Europe started using it in anger that the North Americans realised that having all those API calls going back and forth across the Atlantic was rather susceptible to the speed of light and network latency

You could already do most of this stuff via various mashup techniques, but the aim is for consistency across the whole Y! network, which was previously quite disparate in the way the different parts worked. It allows pretty cool stuff to get done a lot quicker.
              NickFitz is awarded +100 Sasguru nerd points.
              (much more valuable than Xeno Geek points, pah!)
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    nick sounds like you have a proper job, I'm tired of working for clients who a) dont really give two sh*ts if it takes 100ms or 10 secs, b) will never have enough users to give a sh*t
                    Last edited by HankWangford; 25 April 2008, 21:26.
                    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Working...
                    X