• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview- tie or no tie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think turning up without a tie says something about you as a candidate - namely that you that the company should eb grateful to employ you, or something along those lines.

A little humility goes a long way. Wear a tie for the interview, then store it till the next contract. Not like it's an effort to wear, and wearing it says nothing nothing negative about you, whereas not wearing one ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
      No matter how good you are there's always a proper way to dress for the occasion. You cant go for an interview in shorts, can you?

If I were conducting the interview (And I have done a few) I would probably not mind a format shirt, triousers and shoes (wih no tie or jacket). But no way would I hire anyone that turns up in a sweatshirt, T shirt, jeans, sneakers etc. Not even if he were Einstein
      I have. He had an hour to do the interview and was curretnly working in a warehouse. He wouldn't have had time to change and he didn't want to turn up at work in "posh" clothing. On the other hand, he was perfectly shaved, had a good haircut, clean fingernails and sat up straight. Sometimes you have to look past the obvious.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Nah. I don't to ties or suits.

If they ask I'll explain to them that I don't wear suits at work so I won't for an interview.
        Same here - I'm not seeking a gig for my fashion sense but my experience and ability in the industry...

Suits and ties are for permies....

In the past, the best roles I've had have been ones where I did the interview in jeans.
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Suit and tie unless told otherwise.

I worked once at a trendy advertising company (aweful aweful users! - yes even the nice to look at ones) where suits were 'banned'.

If in doubt ask the agent but it's always wise to overdress.

I go all out with cufflinks etc for interviews
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Have you ever been tempted to do a Sharon Stone(Basic Instinct) during an interview?
            You like the site of a hairy cock in a dress do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              You like the site of a hairy cock in a dress do you?
              Like a dog returns to his vomit, churchill returns to the one put down he can manage...

FFS. Boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                Like a dog returns to his vomit, churchill returns to the one put down he can manage...

FFS. Boring!
                I like to choose relevant put-downs.

Are you still saving for the operation?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I've been interviewed by a chap in shorts... it was in Bath in 1990... hottest day of the year, 100 deg F.

I was almost passing out.
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                  X