• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Grand Prix

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You have that the wrong way round, it is F1 that is easy.
    The reason there is so much competition in bike racing is due to a much more level playing field as far as technology is concerned so everybody has a chance.
    F1 is incredibly close. The best drivers tend to end up in the best cars, so it's very easy to say that it's just the car, but it isn't true. Apart from the odd occasion where drivers end up in the wrong team (i.e. Alonso in an underperforming Renault at the start of the year), the best drivers are the ones that are getting the results.

Okay so Michael Schumacher would never have been champion in a Minardi, but he had the ability to do better than a Minardi and so he did.

And talking about Michael Schumacher, now he's retired from the high stakes, extreme fitness, extreme skill of F1 he's taken up bike racing as a way to relax.

Hanging off a bike might look dramatic, but they're much much slower than an F1 car, and the driver/rider doesn't have anything like the amount of G-forces or physical effort to contend with. And by "easy" what I meant was overtaking is easy, or at least always appears to be.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Hanging off a bike might look dramatic, but they're much much slower than an F1 car, and the driver/rider doesn't have anything like the amount of G-forces or physical effort to contend with. And by "easy" what I meant was overtaking is easy, or at least always appears to be.
      Yeah, motorbike racing doesn't do it for me the way F1 does, I can't watch it, nor the fast normal souped up car racing thingy. Not sure why, the personalities, the high tech, wheel changing, dunno. maybe because bikes are too slow. Anyway Schumacher came off recently racing on a motorbike and didn't do well. I imagine you need to be even shorter and lighter on a bike.

Comment

F1 is incredibly close. The best drivers tend to end up in the best cars, so it's very easy to say that it's just the car, but it isn't true. Apart from the odd occasion where drivers end up in the wrong team (i.e. Alonso in an underperforming Renault at the start of the year), the best drivers are the ones that are getting the results.

Okay so Michael Schumacher would never have been champion in a Minardi, but he had the ability to do better than a Minardi and so he did.

And talking about Michael Schumacher, now he's retired from the high stakes, extreme fitness, extreme skill of F1 he's taken up bike racing as a way to relax.

The key word there is appears.
        Schumi is quite an accomplished biker. A number of car racers are/were.
        Of course F1 cars are faster and pull lots of g. Bikes have to slow down to get round corners. The footprint of the rubber on the track is tiny compared to a car and of course cars are more stable as they have a leg at each corner.
        There is a lot more money in car racing too.
        F1 was close last year but has not been for a long long time (same with bikes) but the racing isnt close or exciting. It is rare for F1 cars to pass each other. There is something going on at every corner on a bike track. Maybe not for first place, but there is something going on.

The best drivers do not get the best cars, it is the same with the bikes. A lot depends on the sponsorship a pilot brings with them, or the politics in the sport.

Riding a bike is not easy, riding one fast is difficult. Racing one to any level takes an amazing amount of skill. The consequences of getting it wrong are a little more serious than in a car too.
        I suspect like a lot of non bikers you do not know enough about bikes/biking to fully appreciate the racers.
        That is not a dig BTW.
        Watch motGP with a biker, get to know the sport. It is far better than F1.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I think ouright straight line speed at any track is held by a MotoGP bike. Even though lap speeds are dramaticaly slower.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I think ouright straight line speed at any track is held by a MotoGP bike. Even though lap speeds are dramaticaly slower.
            Compared to F1? Doubt it, since an F1 has extra downforce (at speed) and so extra traction.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Compared to F1? Doubt it, since an F1 has extra downforce (at speed) and so extra traction.
              From a standing start the F1 has traction to accelerate faster, but I think from a flying start the bike does better and tops out faster (less mass etc.).
              This is a distant memory and I am by no means certain but I think that a bike peaked at 218 where the car made 210 on the same track. The car lapped at 1:32s where the bike was nearer 1:50s.
              I think it was Tamada, I will have to look it up.
              I dont think the cars ever do their hypothetical top speeds.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Haven riden motorbikes I think it would be harder to ride a bike fast. Although F1 cars are very 'ungrippy' at low speeds
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Haven riden motorbikes I think it would be harder to ride a bike fast. Although F1 cars are very 'ungrippy' at low speeds
                  In a straight line bikes get more stable the faster you go but going around corners gets far more interesting at speed than it does when your going relatively slowly.

You won't catch bikes cutting the kerbs like the F1 cars do either, instant face full of tarmac if you try it.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

F1

F1 has changed so much it's not worth watching any more. If you want to see real racing, go see the Le Mans 24 hrs or any rally like the 1000 lakes or the Acropolis where in extreme conditions, cars are tested to almost destruction and only the very best drivers can cross the finishing line.

As far as the G-forces and speed of F1, it's probably no harder than going for one of the top rides at Alton Towers.

Comment

For some of the best bike racing around, check out the NorthWest 200.

Mad!!
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X