• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    That may be so but you always need a baseline to measure other schemes against. If it can't do better than turn that amount into £500k in today's money then look elsewhere.

I likes to be thorough. Personally I have a mixture of cash on deposit, ISAs and a pension. Plus some bonds, an endowment (don't laugh), life assurance policy, friendly society account and a house!
    Remarkable. Snap. Down to the tiniest detail.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Remarkable. Snap. Down to the tiniest detail.
      Oh, and a ham and tomato sandwich with mustard, although that won't be much of an investment in the future as I'm going to eat it now.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Oh, and a ham and tomato sandwich with mustard, although that won't be much of an investment in the future as I'm going to eat it now.
        I enjoyed that. Wolfed it down.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I enjoyed that. Wolfed it down.
          It was nice, shame they used French instead of English mustard though.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            It was nice, shame they used French instead of English mustard though.
            It was that grainy mustard though and we quite like that, remember?
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              The worst aspect of pension is the inflexibility, and the fact that your hard earned pot of money has to be traded for an annuity, and hence you cannot pass on this wealth to your children or grand-children and that after paying £500K for an annuity, you will probably cark it 3 months later and make some actuary in the City very rich.
              But that works both ways - you pay for insurance. If you live to be 110 then an annuity would still be paying out. Your £500K savings would be long gone and your children or grand-children will be paying for you. Will they thank you for that?

We're just taking grandad for a walk in the woods ......

Comment

Property or antiques, the only safe long term ventures. I invest in both.
                Better returns than any pension plan
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

It was that grainy mustard though and we quite like that, remember?
                  Oh, yes, forgot, sorry!
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    But that works both ways - you pay for insurance. If you live to be 110 then an annuity would still be paying out. Your £500K savings would be long gone and your children or grand-children will be paying for you. Will they thank you for that?

We're just taking grandad for a walk in the woods ......
                    If you spent the £500K on property, you could live off the rental income forever. When you die, the £500K goes to your family and not some slick tw@t in the City.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X