• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

East London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am in New Eltham. 19 minutes London Bridge, 23 to Cannon Street, 23 to Waterloo(East), 27 to Charing X. All direct trains. We have a baker, butcher, post office and co-op. I am 1 minute to A20, 8 minutes to M20. 5 minutes to A2. 20 minutes is Trosely Country park on top of the north downs with views to the south downs.

Now all we need is several good schools and a bit of PR work...
    Is that estate agent-speak for Eltham Muder Mile?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Odd how people often talk of a North/South divide when it is far more East/West. Look at North East LOndon - want to live in Willesden?
      Indeed. It's one of the ways you can tell if people know what they are talking about.
      Mind you Willesden is in North West London
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I think the last knife murder in Eltham was the Lawrence case. Not sure there has ever been one in New Eltham. There was one in Lee recently. And one in Sidcup - but Sidcup is bound to be a nasty violent place - my ex lives there.

Comment

Indeed. It's one of the ways you can tell if people know what they are talking about.
          Mind you Willesden is in North West London
          damn and blast! I was thinking North West! As most people **seem** to prefer North to South and West to East.

Few dodgy places near Paddington too. And Notting Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            My old mum (bless her) said the Eastend was brilliant 50 years ago. Has it changed then?
            Ditto for Leytonstone (sp?), where my father grew up.

Comment

I am in New Eltham. 19 minutes London Bridge, 23 to Cannon Street, 23 to Waterloo(East), 27 to Charing X. All direct trains. We have a baker, butcher, post office and co-op. I am 1 minute to A20, 8 minutes to M20. 5 minutes to A2. 20 minutes is Trosely Country park on top of the north downs with views to the south downs.

Now all we need is several good schools and a bit of PR work...
              Is property cheap there then? What is your point? There are nice areas all around London. Your place sounds good. But no doubt it's pricey too?

Comment

opps - just re-read your post. New Eltham is a seperate town from Eltham. Each has a railway station - seperate train lines.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  Is property cheap there then? What is your point? There are nice areas all around London. Your place sounds good. But no doubt it's pricey too?
                  Property is cheap relative to rest of London - the main issues locally are reputation (undeservedly bad) and schools (there are a few good options but need more).

You have to be careful about some parts e.g. there is a new estate near the New Eltham station - lovely flats. But part is reserved housing for key council employees. Alas this has led to some local issues.

But the houses in that part of the world are great - though prices are still dropping.

I wonder if New Eltham will ever be "discovered"?

Comment

Do people there really eat eels in jelly and sew buttons all over their clothes whilst making a living as a racist taxi driver?
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      Do people there really eat eels in jelly and sew buttons all over their clothes whilst making a living as a racist taxi driver?
                      I know a fair few people that would qualify on two of those !
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X