• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday Homes for permanent residence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Homes for permanent residence

Does anyone know If you can get a "holiday home" somewhere on the mainland ?

These guys offer homes for 14K but all locations are on the coast.

http://www.havenholidayhomes.co.uk/
    Last edited by Likely; 10 July 2008, 15:15.

You can't have these places as a permanent residence. There's rules but I can't be arsed to find them...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

We are talking about caravans here or 'mobile homes' permanently located in so-called 'holiday areas' bought as a '2nd home'.
      Why would you want to live in one, can't you afford a proper house?

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
        We are talking about caravans here or 'mobile homes' permanently located in so-called 'holiday areas' bought as a '2nd home'.
        Why would you want to live in one, can't you afford a proper house?
        The holiday homes from the link above cost from 14K. That is why. But then I noticed their parks are coast-side only. For a second there I thought I could get one of these and then use the rest of my money for business ventures... much more interesting than paying mortgage.

I am kinda being fed up with renting...

I'd be interested to find out about caravan lifestyle ..

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
          The holiday homes from the link above cost from 14K. That is why. But then I noticed their parks are coast-side only. For a second there I thought I could get one of these and then use the rest of my money for business ventures... much more interesting than paying mortgage.

I am kinda being fed up with renting...

I'd be interested to find out about caravan lifestyle ..
          Gippo.

Comment

How about getting a narrowboat? It's like being a sort of middle-class, perfectly acceptable gyppo. And you can live on them permanently, if you can find a mooring.

Comment

Posted about Mobile Home Lifestyle. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=939239&page=2

LOL

LOL/lifestyle.

I remember the lifestyle: Getting the sack barrow out and trundling down to the site owner to buy another bottle of gas. Mid-winter, dark, wet. Then balancing the darned thing (I am 5'1") on an old sack barrow and manoevring it along the road/paths and round the back of my mobile home to connect it.

I remember the lifestyle: feeling watched by the site owner for any slight transgressions.

I remember the lifestyle: a knock at the door if any visitors had broken a rule, including rules she'd just made up like how many visitors you can have that park on the public road (well, mud track).

I remember the lifestyle: going rent book in hand every 2nd Saturday to pay the rent in cash in the site owner's living room... it was a real "doff your cap, don't make eye contact" moment.

I remember the lifestyle: kicking the front door open in the winter as it had an aluminium frame and the ice would melt, sink to the bottom of the frame then freeze the door in place again. And the door was entirely glass so I had to kick carefully.

Oh yes ... I remember the lifestyle all right

Comment

Jeez I cant stop laughing .. if you have 13 K you can move into an ........ "executive grarage"

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  You can't have these places as a permanent residence. There's rules but I can't be arsed to find them...
                  And don't forget the £6,000 a year ground rent as well as the other costs.

I would suggest a bit of research.

Pikey
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    How about getting a narrowboat? It's like being a sort of middle-class, perfectly acceptable gyppo. And you can live on them permanently, if you can find a mooring.
                    The mooring is the tricky bit as they're in heavy demand, and you have to obtain a licence from the waterways board to use the boat as a permanent residence (which they will only issue if you have a permanent mooring available to you).

Also, you get burgled a lot, according to a friend of mine who's lived on the canals for getting on twenty years - several times a year if you're anywhere near a town or city centre.

Comment

Working...
                    X