• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First-time buyer .... should I jump on the ladder ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First-time buyer .... should I jump on the ladder ?

I don't have a house but .... I have 20 K deposit for mortgage plus some more for mortgage fees/charges. I am very eager to acquire small 1 bedroom to resort to between contracts.

I very much know that it is not the time to buy at the moment but I need to have some place where I can "re-group" when in-between contracts. At the moment I am getting pissed off by my lifestyle , which involves constant renting after my contracts.

For these purposes I am considering getting a small studio or 1 bedroom flat for 150 000 max. Would you do it ?
    Yes , buy your first home.
    29.63%
    No , not right now.
    62.96%
    AndyW
    7.41%

Dont be so fecking stupid.

Just rent a cheap place and keep it on even when you are in contract elsewhere, if thats what you really need.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

If you're going to keep it for 10 years, yes. But I don't see advantage of buying over renting?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Only buy when no one mentions doom for three days running...I reckon sometime in 2011.
        Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

I reckon that there are some very good deals to be had at the moment, but if you wait until the end of the year you could find better still.

I suggested to a friend last year that they wait a year or so to buy because I foresaw a crash, but they went ahead and bought because they had found the place that they really wanted.

In the long run you will never lose out as long as you buy only what you can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            I reckon that there are some very good deals to be had at the moment, but if you wait until the end of the year you could find better still.

I suggested to a friend last year that they wait a year or so to buy because I foresaw a crash, but they went ahead and bought because they had found the place that they really wanted.

In the long run you will never lose out as long as you buy only what you can afford.
            Yes, 40% higher than next year.

Comment

Don't ask me. I tend to buy high and sell low.

Well done on including the Andyw option in the poll.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'll sell you a three bed house with private parking and nice gardens for £130,000.
                £20,000 down (cash in hand) and even sort out a mortgage for you.

You will have to move to Newport in S Wales though
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I have no worthwhile opinion to offer on your dilemma, although I do have a pointer about polls.

While I warmly welcome you including him the idea of including an Andyw option is to introduce a little humour, not to just put Andyw as an option. In this poll for example, you could have used "Andyw is my mortgage advisor."

HTH
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    £130,000.
                    130,000 Zim Dollars

This is Newport after all.

Comment

Working...
                    X