• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do China and Russia like Zimbabwe so?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do China and Russia like Zimbabwe so?

Er, I don't know the answer, I just thought I'd pose the question.

Coz it's the only country in the world where the currency is worth less than theirs?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

another short-circuit for the leftie mind

Comment

I'm guessing they want to oppose what many african countries think of as colonial meddling, to ingratiate themselves with those countries so they can get access on favourable terms to oil and minerals etc.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 12 July 2008, 07:14.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I'm guessing they want to oppose what many african countries think of as colonial meddling, to ingratiate themselves with those countries so they can get access on favourable terms to oil and minerals etc.
          Aye. Got it in one.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

China are already making massive inroads into Africa investment wise.

Doomed etc.

Comment

Given that Mugabe & those behind him probably will be out within a decade, about as sensible as US/UK support of the Shah of Iran.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Given that Mugabe & those behind him probably will be out within a decade, about as sensible as US/UK support of the Shah of Iran.
                http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...abe/article.do

The Dirty Half-Dozen: The generals who are even more ruthless and bloodthirsty than Mugabe

His Excellency was perspiring, even though there was frost on the ground. In the palatial gardens of State House, the oak-panelled home of former British colonial rulers, Robert Mugabe's face glistened with sweat as he was declared President of the Republic of Zimbabwe. He pulled at his cuffs and glanced over his shoulder.

After 28 years of bloody rule - and two hours before the election results were announced 'live' on state-controlled TV - Mugabe appeared anxious as he was sworn in for a record sixth term this week. His opponents had been killed or forced at gunpoint to vote in rigged elections.

Yet it wasn't the international outcry over this that worried him. No, beneath the megalomania, what he must know is that he has already lost power, not to the persecuted opposition Movement for Democrat Change (MDC), but to a bloody - and secret - cabal.

========================================

Though this does come from the daily mail stable of papers so I doubt its veracity...

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Coz it's the only country in the world where the currency is worth less than theirs?
                  You are most probably younger than me but you are behind the times.
                  The Russian Rouble is one of the worlds strongest currencies (since 2001). It has been stronger than sterling and dollar since then. The RR is now convertible and can be bought and sold in the UK. Russians who kept their US dollars under the mattress have long since sold them adding to the weakness of the dollar.

The Chinese currency is undervalued and it would help the West if it was re-valued.

Sanctions do three things; they hit the poorest in a country; they make the clever very inventive just like how SA became world leaders in some technologies; … and thirdly as soon as there are sanctions, governments and businesses find ways to break the sanctions. I remember when sanctions were brought in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) It was UK government owned companies that were braking the sanctions and making a fortune while other countries were upholding the sanctions.

While I was in Cuba I was surprised that Coca-Cola along with other Amercian goods were on open sale, brought in via Mexico. You could even pay with US credit cards, the US credit card machines were directed connected to Mexico, Canada or the UK.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    You are most probably younger than me but you are behind the times.
                    The Russian Rouble is one of the worlds strongest currencies (since 2001). It has been stronger than sterling and dollar since then. The RR is now convertible and can be bought and sold in the UK. Russians who kept their US dollars under the mattress have long since sold them adding to the weakness of the dollar.

The Chinese currency is undervalued and it would help the West if it was re-valued.

Sanctions do three things; they hit the poorest in a country; they make the clever very inventive just like how SA became world leaders in some technologies; … and thirdly as soon as there are sanctions, governments and businesses find ways to break the sanctions. I remember when sanctions were brought in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) It was UK government owned companies that were braking the sanctions and making a fortune while other countries were upholding the sanctions.

While I was in Cuba I was surprised that Coca-Cola along with other Amercian goods were on open sale, brought in via Mexico. You could even pay with US credit cards, the US credit card machines were directed connected to Mexico, Canada or the UK.
                    Oh God!

It was a !!!Joke!!!

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X