Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ? Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ?
Posts 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    eliquant has no reputation

    eliquant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In a halfway house between reality and fantasy
    Posts
    796

    Default Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ?

    Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ?

    Did they work you like a slave ? coding into the night ? did they pay well ? did you have to do everything yourself because they were under-resourced ?

    Please tell me more...

    Also I've always avoided Software Houses and working for the 'Consultants' i.e. Accenture / Arthur Anderson / EDS etc .. I just don't like those sorts of places very much ... but I was wondering with an upcoming recession I may be forced into those sorts of contracts .... which I will do reluctantly

  2. #2

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eliquant View Post
    Anyone here ever worked for a London 'Hedge Fund' ?

    Did they work you like a slave ? coding into the night ? did they pay well ? did you have to do everything yourself because they were under-resourced ?

    Please tell me more...

    Also I've always avoided Software Houses and working for the 'Consultants' i.e. Accenture / Arthur Anderson / EDS etc .. I just don't like those sorts of places very much ... but I was wondering with an upcoming recession I may be forced into those sorts of contracts .... which I will do reluctantly
    I think Chico did?

    If you are planning to then check your contract. Most places have min of 8 hours and tend to keep to it.

    "Consultants" might lose contracts oo!

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...

    synoniv has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    cockloft
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I do know hedge fund companies, we inherited them from the wild wild west; but do they employ coders ?
    I thought they do more like technical support/analyst staff for their trading floors ? I might be wrong here - so someone pls feel to KMA !

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Bumfluff has no reputation

    Bumfluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    My current gig is fund management / hedge funds and to be honest its pretty chilled if you know your stuff. Every one I know who has gone to Deutsch Bank say its a nightmare, very long hours and stress.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Sockpuppet is too good to be a permie

    Sockpuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    I used to work in a Garden center in Leicester. Not sure its the same.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    b0redom has more data than eek

    b0redom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Every one I know who has gone to Deutsch Bank say its a nightmare, very long hours and stress.
    Don't they claim overtime? I usually find when I say, "Yeah I can work, but obviously the agency won't let me without billing for it...." They either cough up, or back off. Either way it's win-win....

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,001

    Default

    Deutsche Bank is a fixed daily rate, I think.
    I'm alright Jack

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding

    bobsmithldn has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Make sure you have got what it takes to work 7/8-8-9.

    A friend - one of the best Murex consultants around - was at one for just a few months, couldn't handle the working hours.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    ratewhore has no reputation

    ratewhore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The dark disturbing corner of your mind
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    "Yeah I can work, but obviously the agency won't let me without billing for it...."
    [IRONY] Spoken like a true businessman [\IRONY]
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •